Japan 2013 Day 6: Braving Tokyo

There is usually one day in my travels that I am left to explore a foreign city by myself. I already went around with my Dad and friend...

There is usually one day in my travels that I am left to explore a foreign city by myself. I already went around with my Dad and friends in Tokyo. However, I was still unsure whether I could do it on my own or I still needed company. I accepted the challenge of going on my own. I had no better options. I either stay in the hotel room in Ginza or wait for my Dad in Odaiba. Doing those wouldn't make my trip fun at all. Nagpunta pa ako sa Japan, di ba?

So I woke up early to eat breakfast and get ready. I usually communicated with my Dad through the hotel telephone. He called before he left the hotel. He had to go out earlier than me because he had to participate in the conference once again. One of the activities was to ride a transportation vehicle test. They rode the vehicle and the driver drove them around the city while a speaker talked about it. I am not sure. But that was what I found out from my Dad afterwards. ((:

My plans for the day included: 1) Government Metropolitan Building, 2) Shinjuku Gyoen, and 3) Meiji Jingu Shrine. My goal was to visit the three locations before sunset. With a small bag that fits my phone, money, passport, room key, dSLR camera, and the Tokyo Handy Guide, I embarked on my journey alone.


My alone time gave me some revelations about traveling and Japan that I would like to share in this blog...

Travel Local

Blending in with the crowd is not easy. Most people would try to look like Japanese. But I realized that blending in does not mean appearing Japanese. But it is actually about going through what they do in a daily basis.

Since the rush hour has passed, I was not able to experience the jammed trains and train pushers that the locals experience. To achieve being local a bit (for I usually look like a tourist with a big camera and a "I-don't-know-where-to-go" face), I rode on a train, put on my earphones, and even managed to take a selfie. Hahaha!


Learning by Doing

John Dewey believed in the theory of experiential learning or learning by doing when he described how people learn. We learn as we experience. In traveling, we learn as we go to places. It may be painstakingly difficult at times but how we get to our destination teaches us a lot of things.

How I got to the Government Metropolitan Building was an adventure. I rode the JR train from Shimbashi station and alighted at Shinjuku station. It was a BIG station! I had to go to the West Exit. There were signs everywhere. But following the right signs took time. I was a sigurista so I always make sure that I was going the right way. If I didn't feel right, I just go back to where I was. And tried to make it right. I was so grateful that I made it by just following the signs.

To the TMG building

Along with me, there were three other tourists searching for the right way to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building. I was clearly not alone in this adventure. Like me, they were also following the signs. We were literally underground. The pathways were well-lighted but it contained a chilly atmosphere. But I felt like I was in a set of a computer game wherein dozens of men in black would come out and shoot me.. or them.. or all of us. Hahaha! What an imaginative mind I have!

I was able to find my way to the front doors of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) building without the three other tourists. I actually took a different path from them. I did not want to rely on them for support because they might be wrong. So again, I just followed the signs. When I got out of the underground pathway, I met a lost tourist on the street. He came up to me and asked for directions. I told him about the underground path where I came from. He said, "Thank you" and turned away. I was not able to see if he followed my directions or not. I was also a helpless tourist myself.

In the lobby, I asked one of the women in front of the elevators how to go to the observatory deck. Surprisingly, they spoke in English. They gladly told me that it was on the 45th floor and I could line up in front of the elevator. I followed the posts that guide people where to fall in line. I was the first one to line up.


The Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, also called the Tokyo City Hall, has 48 floors. In the 45th floor, there is an observatory.

Connect

I reached the top of the building not knowing that it would remind me of who I am. The observatory was full of elementary school students, around 8-9 years old, the same age as my students back home. I figured out right away that they were on a field trip because they were carrying writing boards with a paper and a pencil. They were looking at famous landmarks and they were jotting down their answers on their papers. I suddenly missed my students back home. I even talked to some of the students in English. Sadly, they could not speak in English. They only laughed and smiled at me. (((:











Look and Discover

The child in me came out when I looked around the souvenir shop in the middle of the observatory. There were so many kawaii things to buy! But the adult in me also reminded me that I would not need it anytime soon. They would just remain in my room as a decoration that would later on be ignored and covered with dust. Ha!

So I only looked around and bought one thing that I could use everyday: A Totoro keychain and would constantly remind me of my childhood. I also learned that day that there were playing cards with pictures of Studio Ghibli movies printed on them. I wanted the Kiki's Delivery Service version but I know I do not need it that much. And it was not a legit Studio Ghibli product even though it was approved by Studio Ghibli. So I let it pass.



Dad bought me the one at the bottom right corner when I was young.

Big Totoro! <3

The major reason why I went to TMG building was to catch a glimpse of Mt. Fuji. But since it rained a lot a few days ago, I could not see the mountain at all. It was really cloudy that day though the sun was shining brightly.


Mode Gakuen Cocoon Tower and Tokyo Skytree 
I learned recently that the Mode Gakuen Cocoon Tower houses three vocational schools: Tokyo Mode Gakuen (Fashion School), HAL Tokyo (School for IT and Digital Contents), and Shuto Iko (School for Medical Treatments and Care). It has 50 floors. It was called a "cocoon" due to its shape. I was not able to see this educational facility up close. But it looked innovative to me.






The students left the building the same time I did.


When I thought I had seen enough of the city hall, I walked back to the underground pathway. It was nearly lunch time. I was already starving and imagining a picnic at the Shijuku Gyoen national park.

Keep Calm

There are some places that you will find solitude in. And one place in Japan that gave me that feeling was the Shinjuku Gyoen National Park. It was accessible from the Shinjuku station. When I went back, I had to find the South Exit. However, this station almost caused me to give up and just ride the train back to Shimbashi. But I also learned how to keep calm, breathe, and then study the map. What made me really confused were the various exits everywhere. I had to stop before I enter a gate. One wrong move and I could not turn back and a train ticket could go into waste. So I always stopped and thought about every move. Luckily, I was able to find my way to the South Exit.

When I was out in the streets, I had to consult the map again which way to the park. "Is it right or left?" Due to landmarks such as Uniqlo, Lumine 1 and 2, etc., I was able to figure out that the right way was to the right. I really appreciated the Japanese maps. They were so detailed! I don't know if I just got lucky and I had a detailed Tokyo map in my hands. But it was so useful! The next thing I knew, I was walking by countless shops, movie houses, bus station, and restaurants... and the gate of the Shinjuku Gyoen National Park was standing in front of me.


Park admission ticket for 200 yen

Mother and Daughter Forest
A black crow

Having a picnic like this was my initial plan. ((:
Admist the plenty of people that day, busy doing their own activities around the park, I had a very peaceful time.



The perfect place. <3 #introvertblues
Family Time
Teachers and Preschoolers in the field
Playing tag


I was supposed to visit the Japanese and European gardens. But I was getting hungry. And I still had to visit another place so I just started to walk around the field back to the front gate. This time, I took the other side of the circle opposite to where I first came from. The garden was really huge! I wondered what it looks like in March or April when the cherry blossoms and the flowers bloom.

I love Daddy's small but powerful 50mm fixed lens. I have been using it a lot lately. It has a maximum aperture of 1.8 and it can make pictures sweeter but crisper than the pictures taken with zoom lens. However, the lens is already fixed so they cannot be zoomed in or out. But despite that, I think I have a pretty good relationship with the 50mm fixed lens.


Who would have thought that I would be able to see a sakura tree with flowers in October??? I could not believe my eyes. Other tourists were amazed too! But I did touch the flower and it is NOT fake. I also smelled it a bit. It has a genuine flowery smell. Hahaha!

There was a greenhouse nearby that grew seasonal plants. They must have been putting something on the sakura trees to make them grow in this season. It was amazing!









Rest time



There was a mother who let her little daughter got up from her fall by herself. The little girl was crying but she did not offer any help but only told her daughter to get up. The foreigners were definitely staring. I, too watched them intently as I passed by (siyempre may pasimple onti sabay picture). It was different from how little babies were raised up in the Philippines. They were usually carried right away. Because Filipinos were generally loving and caring people with high sympathy, we tend to offer help and support at once especially to children. As much as I wanted to help her little daughter, I also thought that her parenting might be more effective to her child as well. Her child might grow up to be more independent and self-sufficient.


On my way back, I went inside the information center and canteen. I was actually looking for food to eat. But since I could not find food that I wanted to eat, I decided to look around the gallery instead. I could still bear not eating.


Get Lost

Getting lost is actually a good thing. I always see it as a new opportunity to learn and start an adventure. It also makes the travel more interesting.

From Shinjuku Station, I rode the JR line to Harajuku Station. The Meiji Jingu Shrine was the third and the last place I planned to visit. From the train station, I noticed that there were a lot of young people. They were wearing porma clothes. Not the kind of clothes Ginza people wear but more colorful and creative. I'm sure you get the picture.

I only took a 1-minute walk to Meiji Jingu Shrine. The Tokyo Handy Guide was totally accurate! But the Tokyo Handy Guide did not tell me that the walk to the Meiji Jingu Shrine was TOO long!!! And it was TOO cold!!! I was having goosebumps already. I was wearing a leather jacket. But I was wearing a dress and sneakers. So my legs were pretty bare. I should have worn/brought my tights.
Torii Gate
The Meiji Jingu Shrine was built in dedication to Emperor Meiji and Emperor Shoken in 1920. It was filled with trees. I did not feel bored while walking because I was staring at the pathway and the tall, tall, tall trees. Even though the pathway was crowded with people, the place was so serene. I could not believe that such a tranquil place could exist in a busy city. I was completely lost in a forest.



Rows of sake barrels 
Rows of Wine Barrels from Bourgogne, France
Entrance to the court yard
The Court Yard
I was able to see newly weds who underwent a Shinto Wedding. A photographer was taking pictures of the two around the court yard. They were beautiful. <3
Shinto Wedding
Wooden prayer tablets underneath a large Wishing Tree
I was completely lost in thought under this tree. I really spent a 180 degree turn around it. I was not quite familiar with the "votive tablet" though I had seen these tablets in Zojoji temple as well. Due to this, I researched about it. Votive tablet also called ema are wooden tablets where prayers and wishes are written. They are given as offerings to shrines and temples.




I actually wanted to write just to experience it. But the tablet costs 500 yen. So I just read, took a picture, and resonated with what the people wrote.
Hai!
Amen for family trip! <3
Love for the Land of the Rising Sun. <3 
(:
Some even created beautiful borders. (:
"Hoping to get a good partner in life." Huat ah! Huat ah! Huat ah!
Okaaay, hanggang dito may Arashi. ((:
Forever and ever amen! <3

The trees and pathways around the shrine looked the same. So I was not surprised that I got lost on the way back. I could imagine what it was like there at night. Actually, I already had a bad feeling about the path I was walking on. It was a good thing that a Japanese family that I asked directions from were so kind. It was a good thing they understood my English. They instantly told me that I had to go the opposite direction. Whew. God bless them!

Wrong way, wrong way



I made it to the three places before sunset alright! But I was already starving when I got back to Shimbashi. I went to the bento box shop near our hotel. Surprisingly, their meal prices lowered because it was already past lunch time. My Dad said some of the shops/restaurants also do the same. Lucky souls!

Picnic in my room: Bento box, veggie box, and green tea ice cream (:
Lamon time! I could really live in Japan for the food. So delicious! And the little stores around the area can really provide delicious to-go food as well. Remembering it now, I am craving...

To sum it all up, a place like Japan is meant to be explored. I believe any place is. But we have to get out there and brave out in order to experience it. Honestly, I wished for at least a companion while I was riding the trains, finding my way in the train stations, admiring the view of Tokyo from the 45th floor of TMG, walking, contemplating, or even having an intimate picnic at Shinjuku Gyoen National Park, completing a walkathon to and from Meiji Jingu Shrine, and sharing a delicious super late lunch meal. Of course, I wished for somebody to share these experiences with. But I also realized that not everyone can always be there for me. There are places that we have to explore by ourselves. It is not because we are welcoming loneliness but it is because we are choosing to be happy even though we are alone.

Kanpai (Cheers) to more braving out!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Hi Kaye, thanks for writing this! I've been wanting to go Japan and explore it by myself, and you've just encouraged me big-time! May I ask where did you bought the map and what's the name of the publisher? thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Giz Elle! Thank you for the time you spent in reading my blog entry. The study guide was given to my Dad during the conference. It is published by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government (City Hall). You can also find tourist information here: http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp. I hope you will be able to visit Tokyo by yourself too!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kaye! I appreciate your reply. :)

      Delete

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews