Japan 2013 Day 4: A Day in a Life of an Engineer

When we first arrived in Tokyo, my Dad told me about the numerous times he spent alone in the train. He told me about not having anyone to ...

When we first arrived in Tokyo, my Dad told me about the numerous times he spent alone in the train. He told me about not having anyone to talk with. Even though he did not directly told me that he was thankful to have me with him, I was touched. I knew that my Dad wanted me to be there with him. Not because he needed someone to talk to but he needed someone dear to him to bond with and share a couple of memories with. Family. It never happened since we moved back to the Philippines in 1990. After two decades, I am thankful it did.

Our fifth day was spent in Tokyo Big Sight. I tagged along with my Dad to Odaiba because I wanted to see the conference sight and document it for him as well. We had our breakfast in our hotel. We shopped in the Family Mart near our hotel a few days ago so we were able to stock some food.

Dad and I drove the same train from the Yurikamome Line to the Tokyo Big Sight.







We were too early. But Dad registered inside. Then he got our IDs. We decided to go out and take pictures first.



We had our second breakfast at Family Mart inside the Tokyo Big Sight's premises.
Loving the triangle sandwiches in Family Mart and Boss Coffee. Wait, coffee??
I don't drink coffee everyday. But there are a few times when I do: 1) When I have a requirement that I need to submit and I could not stay awake any longer (College days). 2) When the coffee is good and sweet. 3) When I'm with someone who drinks coffee. That day, I was required to stay awake while I wait for my Dad. The Japanese coffee in the can that I bought was good and sweet, and I was with my Dad who drank coffee too. Big influence. So I did not mind drinking at all that day. ((:

I am an accompanying person. ((:
The weather was chilly. There was a typhoon coming. I could not believe that I will experience a typhoon during my stay here in Japan. It was a good thing that it didn't rain when we were "touring." ((:

There was wi-fi in Tokyo Big Sight. This was a good thing. "I wouldn't be bored!" I thought. Ha-ha. After a few minutes, Dad and I were back inside...

Men in black



When I get introduced to my Dad's acquaintances, they always asked if I was studying engineering or if I was an engineer too. Do I look like one?! HAHAHA. I don't! There was a time in my life that I wanted to be one, just for the sake of studying in Diliman. But my Dad's profession must have been giving people the wrong impression.


What could have happen then if I did take engineering? Hahaha! Just a thought.


I could be one of these men in black. Naaat.






Dad and I ate lunch at the lunch hall. I have never attended an international conference as a presenter/participant before. But I accompanied my Mom once in Europe. Being an observer, I noticed that there were a lot to love about attending conferences. There was no need to worry about food because it has been provided already. Then there were a lot of new people to meet who would just sit beside you and talk about their work or their reasons for being there. And if you go around the booths, you would get freebies! I also observed that there is really no need to attend ALL sessions. You could just choose which ones suit you best and then in the afternoon, go out and explore! You hit two birds with one stone.


Since there was a typhoon coming, the conference in the afternoon has been cancelled. Classes in schools have been cancelled early as well. This was a swift cancellation. If I were to compare it to the Philippines suspension of classes and cancellation of conferences or work, then this is fast. People's safety is clearly a priority here in Japan.

Dad and I traveled back to the hotel. During dinner, I was left all alone in the hotel because Dad had to attend a gathering again. It was raining hard now. So there was no fun wandering around alone on a rainy night.
Rainy Ginza.

I wanted to find the bento take-out store nearby for my dinner. But my umbrella was too little for a hard rain. I got so wet. I ended up going back to our hotel and buying my dinner at Family Mart again. I am totally loving this store. It has been saving us since Day 1.

Despite the rain, I am thankful for the day. Being able to accompany my Dad in this trip has been the major purpose. I am actually very proud of him. I know that there has been numerous conferences and conventions, both local and international, that he had to attend on his own. I could imagine the lonely travel, lunches, hotel stays, and simply the hours when he misses us, especially Mom. He has gone through it all. And I am just glad that in at least one of them, I had been with him.

Next: Chilling around Tokyo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews