Japan 2013 Day 2: The Path to Tokyo Tower

With stomachs full and satisfied over a sushi lunch meal, the next stop to a spontaneous adventure was the Tokyo Tower. I am not a fan o...


With stomachs full and satisfied over a sushi lunch meal, the next stop to a spontaneous adventure was the Tokyo Tower. I am not a fan of heights. They scare me a lot. But I have braved out and climbed at least three tall towers/buildings in my life: Macau Tower, Willis Tower (formerly known as Sears Tower), and the John Hancock Center (skycraper). The experience was worth it despite the fear I have felt. Maybe I will throwback a memory in Macau Tower one of these days for I have blogged about the Willis Tower and the John Hancock Center in my Windy Chicago Times blog entry back in 2011. But for now, let us focus on the fourth tower that I climbed: the Tokyo Tower.

The Tokyo Tower is located in Shiba-koen district in Minato, Tokyo, Japan. From Yokohoma, we rode the JR Yamanote Line and alighted at Hamamatsucho station. The station is partially under and connected to the World Trade Center. As we went out of the building, the Tokyo Tower was in sight. So we directly followed the path to where it stood.

Our path to the tower surprisingly involved a visit to a Buddhist temple named Zojoji. I had no intention to visit temples in Japan but I do respect the beliefs of Buddhism.


The Sandegatsu gate, built in 1622, is the only original structure left from the temple during World War II. It stands beautifully before the temple steps. I like its dark reddish color. According to my research, people who pass by this gate get freed from three worldly passions: Ton (greed), Shin (hatred), and Chi (foolishness). I pray that we have been freed from these.


Dead end.

Me and the statues

This is so ignorant of me. While I was looking at these colorful statues, I did not feel any form of fear or sadness. We even walked pass by them smiling for we admired the pink pinwheels, red bonnets, and flowers that the statues wore. But when I researched about them as I was writing this blog, I found out that these statues were representations of the unborn children of Japan, including miscarried, aborted, and stillborn children. Parents of these children can choose a statue and decorate it anyway they want with small clothing and toys. A gift for Jizo, the guardian of the unborn children can also be offered so that the children will reach the afterlife. Stones are even piled up on the statue to shorten the suffering of the children as they make their way to the afterlife. This gave me the chills. So I just prayed for these children and their parents whoever and wherever they are that they may find peace and joy despite their losses.



We had to walk a few more blocks before we were able to reach the tower. I believe the long path to this tower was worth it.





We stopped by for a late sunakku (snack) at Starbucks Coffee shop and sat outside. I loved the taste of Starbucks Japan's Green Tea frappe. It is less sweet.

 
5:00 p.m.
At Erik's favorite place lol
The glowing Tokyo Tower peeped out in the photo below. Perfect. I really had to thank my friend Erik for some of the photos because usually one camera is never enough when traveling.


  
A dinner treat with Dad at a yakitori & kamameshi restaurant
The path to Tokyo Tower is definitely worth taking. Aside from a bunch of discoveries about Japan, getting to know and bonding with a good friend makes it less tiring and more fun. (:

Next stop: Asakusa Temple (In Celebration of Health & Sports Day)

[Pardon me for the photo edits for I am currently experimenting with the photos in my blog. Instead of uploading photos in big sizes, I decided to edit and save them in 700 px width only. Also, I am trying to find which preset I will stick with. Message or comment if you have any suggestions.]

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews