5 Things That Give Joy: Week 1

   October 17-23, 2022 Lately, life has been steady but I couldn't help but feel confused and impatient about many things. My idea of ma...

  

October 17-23, 2022

Lately, life has been steady but I couldn't help but feel confused and impatient about many things. My idea of making these negative vibes go away is to write. I read the book "The Happines Project" by Gretchen Rubin in 2009 and it changed my life back then. Currently, she has been doing a list of things that make her happy in her newsletter. I have been enjoying reading about hers so I want to try and do the same. 

Hopefully, I can keep up with my own weekly list of 5 Things That Give Joy. I want to be more intentional about ALL THE GOOD THINGS happening to me. Whether they are big or small, they deserve to be acknowledged and valued. They are God's blessings that can encourage me when things get off track. 

1. 7:27 train

My daily commute every day starts at 7:20 when I leave the apartment and walk to the train station for three minutes (excluding stoplights). Though the fact that I couldn't leave later than that does not make me happy, I am grateful for the chance to discipline myself and stick to a routine. Because I take a bath at night, it's eliminated from my Morning To-Do List. I could focus on washing my face, getting dressed, putting on a little make-up, organizing my room, and preparing the breakfast that I could bring to the station and eat before I go to work. In 50 minutes, I could do some of these simultaneously. 

I've been multi-tasking for as long as I could remember. But I honestly feel that waking up an hour earlier is better. If I wake up at the same time as my husband, I could be more productive and relaxed. I could even do a short yoga routine plus quiet time/meditation to start the day right. Maybe I could even add that to one of the 5 things that make me happy next week!

2. Easy online shopping

In Japan, you could easily shop online and the delivery is superb. It's so efficient that the courier companies deliver in a day or two and you can also specify the date and time that you prefer. Requesting for redelivery is very easy as well. You can easily call the assigned delivery person and state your time of availability. This is the fastest and most convenient but there are call charges. For free, you could just change your delivery requests through the online website as well. 

My recent purchase is a wooden iron stand and a good steam iron that I bought on sale. Buying things for the home really spark joy. I try to invest more in quality items even though they are pricier. I prefer good quality products that can last for many years rather than inexpensive products that could be replaced in a year or two.

3. Indoor plant companions

The touch of nature inside the hom relaxes me. When my mother came to Ayabe, Kyoto in May 2019, she helped me choose a few plants to decorate my apartment. However, they all died during winter. 

When I moved to Nishinomiya, Hyogo the following year, my first indoor plant that is still alive today is a Monstera from a nearby supermarket. I named it Monti. I'd accidentally left it out on the balcony during a hot day two summers ago but it survived. When I went to IKEA Tsuruhama, I also carried home a medium-sized ZZ plant that is still thriving in the kitchen now.  

This year, I've added a Sansevieria Cylindrica (snake plant) which is still happily surviving too. I hope to expand this family after we move to a bigger home soon. Yay!

4. Manageable schedule

My everyday workday in the Philippines had been toxic. A teaching job doesn't end at 5 p.m. It ends at 12 a.m. and sometimes materials preparation ends at 3 a.m. or no sleep at all. Because I could not be paid for my overtime work, I had to leave school on time. Thus, I worked at home. There was mostly no time for family and unwinding during weekdays. 

Here in Japan, I rarely bring work home. My first year of teaching was an exception because I was adjusting to everything. I was also Teacher 1 in most of my schools so I prepared all the lessons and materials and the Japanese Teachers of English only provide support to me and the students. The more manageable lessons started during my second and third years of teaching when the rule was implemented and more Japanese teachers were trained to lead the English lessons with or without an Assistant Language Teacher. My Japanese Teachers of English are really good teachers but they still couldn't speak English straight in class. My school days are mostly full from first period to sixth period. But lesson planning and materials preparation don't happen everyday because my JTEs have usually prepared it before I come to school. We mostly do team teaching, checking of worksheets, and lesson planning together. To be honest, I think this is not the best set-up that I like for my teaching career  because I also need growth, command in the classroom, and a sense of fulfillment. But for now, I'm just being the best Teacher 2 that I could be. 

My job schedule also allows me to arrive home about one or two hours before my husband, Kensho. I could prepare dinner and organize the home before he arrives. He wants us to eat dinner together every night so instead of working overtime, he finishes work at 5:00 p.m., organizes everything, walks his hunter dog, and drives home. 

5. Married life

Kensho and I have been married for six happy months. I couldn't believe that it has been that long! We still haven't gone through all the photos and videos of our two weddings. But we're working on it and posting soon. Lol! All thanks to God for making all these happen. 

I am really grateful that I have a husband who cares enough to come home early, relax, and spend quality time with me after work despite his hectic schedule. We also grew up differently, but we are able to work it out every day. Language is still challenging though lately, we are getting used to communicating using our own language mix. Ganbarimasu!

Living with another person again after moving to Japan has taken the loneliness away. But my "me time" has been compromised and only weekends make up for it. It is also challenging when we are both in a not-so-good state. What I am really thankful for is the love and patience that we have for each other and God guiding our hearts, minds, and actions. Kensho has been the perfect person to stand my "adult tantrums" or what our family calls "berat mode." Lol. Being quick to forgive and understand each other is something that has really saved us and we're practicing this by God's grace. 

Thank God for these 5 things! I still couldn't believe how my life turned out unexpectedly here in Japan. I remember praying in the past, traveling to places, and dreaming about the things that I have now. 

Of course, we still have a lot of unanswered prayers. But God has been really good and faithful to us and our loved ones. He has been answering prayer after prayer and telling us to wait a little more for His answers. 

Lately, He has been teaching me again to set aside quality time with Him in prayer, journalling, and worship. I feel like I've been losing my childlikeness when life keeps me busy. It is really therapeutic to slow down, reflect, and be thankful for all things big and little. 

Though there is uncertainty in this season, I am sure of one thing: Joy and peace come from God alone.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

I am excited to reflect on the next 5 things next week and literally SEE God's blessings.

With joy,

K

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews