2019: A Year of Transcendence

I decreed that 2019  is a year of transcendence--living out in faith, seeing beyond, and traversing the world's borders.  I aimed to ris...

I decreed that 2019 is a year of transcendence--living out in faith, seeing beyond, and traversing the world's borders. I aimed to rise above the limitations and restrictions in life and experience the unimaginable gifts God has in store. It involved many acts of surrender and trust in Him, believing that the good work He has started in me and my loved ones will be completed because He is faithful (Philippians 1:6). In the process, I have learned to develop a grateful and patient heart. 

Last last Sunday's preaching in my home church was all about gratefulness. It was also the same thing that God was teaching me throughout the year. I started to reflect about the past year/s on my birthday last October. A friend suggested that I create a gratitude list. As my way of saying goodbye to 2019, I wanted to share my "Thank You"s to God and hopefully, whoever's reading will also think of their own and be in a spirit of thanksgiving. 

"Thank you for giving me wings."

At an altar call during last year's prayer and fasting, I stood up from my seat and walked towards the stage to stand in faith that I am called to go to the nations. For the very first time in my life, I was sure. On March, I embarked on a journey towards Japan, the country that I have loved dearly since I was born. I experienced a lot of firsts--first time to be separated from my family for a long time, first time to set foot on Kyoto, first time to live independently, including renting an apartment, paying for my bills and expenses, doing all the cleaning, groceries, cooking, and laundry all by myself. I even invested on cultivating my green thumb. Living independently was extremely challenging. But I learned a lot about adulting that made me become a better version of myself. In God, I found wisdom and strength amidst the hardships and homesickness. It was like living out Isaiah 40:31:

"But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." (NLT)

"Thank you for the gift of teaching and sending me to Japan."

God is now reminding me of the promises and purposes for me in Japan. Many times I wonder how this journey will turn out. Sometimes I wonder about my home country. Is it okay to leave the Philippines? Am I using what I have learned in special education, reading education, and MA extensively? Then I always find myself going back to Abram's story when he said yes to God's call to travel to an unknown place that later became his home:

"Now the Lord had said to Abram (Kaye)
'Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father's house,
To a land that I will show you,
I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.'"
Genesis 12:1-3

I may just be a foreigner and stranger in Japan (Genesis 17:8) but He can use me wherever He has placed me. I am teaching in a new environment where I could learn, relearn, and unlearn things. Nothing is wasted because all will make sense in the end. I love being a Filipino in Japan and I love the Philippines. I believe God has a greater purpose why He brought me out of it and He sees my obedience to Him.

I believe that the place of calling is not limited to where a person was born or raised. In fact, God brings us to new places where He transforms our lives and uses us to manifest His glory. When He has given us a land to possess, whether in a form of a new workplace, business, or home, take the great leap of faith and claim it. This is a rare opportunity in a timely season to grow and be used by God.

"Thank you for making the world small."

I appreciate technology more when I moved abroad. My family, friends, and I communicated through different social networking sites and apps. Nothing beats talking in person. But the timely audio and video calls helped ease the loneliness and fear-of-missing-out (FOMO). 

I am really thankful for the short distance between Japan and the Philippines. I didn't expect that I would be able to go home twice this year. God surprised me with cheap flights last summer. Take note: July to August is a perfect time to search for low fares to and from Japan. It's also another way to escape the scorching summer heat. Another blessing is when my parents were also able to visit me. Though they visited separately, we were able to spend quality time. They were able to see my apartment and the community I lived in, visited some tourist spots, and met my new friends. All God-ordained.

"What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him," 1 Corinthians 2:9 (ESV)

"Thank you for the divine appointments."

The divine appointments throughout the year were all laid out beautifully. I met people from different parts of the world, became involved in organisations within the community, and developed good relationships with my co-teachers and students. 

During my eight months here in Japan, one of the beautiful things that God has done is that He has given me a new spiritual family in Kyoto. I first discovered a Protestant church in Ayabe. Though the preachings were entirely in Japanese, the church members are really kind and generous. Early November, I was able to attend a church in Kyoto, one that I found online before I came to Japan. The vision and mission of the church is quite similar to my home church in Manila. The people are also very friendly. I could freely speak about my faith in God with them. The only problem is the location which was 1.5-2 hours away from Ayabe. Sharing breakthroughs with people face to face is really essential to my spiritual growth. So I aim to visit the church once or twice a month. I entrust God the expensive and long train rides. I also wish to improve my Japanese so I could speak with more Japanese people.

These churches were answered prayers. I am grateful that God not only connected me to one church but two. I am so excited to build friendships with the people, grow, and serve Him through the church.

And last but not the least...

"Thank you for your presence always."

I know that I am not alone because I have God. I am not lonely because I can easily talk to Him wherever I go. I see His steadfast love and faithfulness in all things. 

"And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13, NKJV

Transcending 2019 doesn't happen in a year. In fact, my transcendent phase in Japan has only just begun. I look forward to more growth and change. I also claim that this year is a time to reap the seeds we have sown in the past decade--deeper intimacy with God, love shared in the family, friendships built through the years, passions cultivated, health restored, career and mission paths chosen, personalities and hearts shaped. At the end of every year, we strive for things that are eternal rather than temporary.

To be honest, I am entering this new year without any clear steps. I don't know what will happen. I am not sure of anything. But I trust God. I have faith in Him. Though He will lead me to the unknown, He will lay out an #Unimaginable2020 before my eyes.

I decree that an abundant harvest is waiting for us. Let's reap with faith and joy!

Happy New Year!

Transcending and Grateful,

K



"Give God the right to direct your life, and as you trust Him along the way you'll find He pulled it off perfectly." Psalm 37:5 (The Passion Translation)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews