In a World of October: 32 Years of Gratefulness

On my birthday last October 30th, I wrote a gratitude list. I do not usually write one but recalling everything God has done for me in t...


On my birthday last October 30th, I wrote a gratitude list. I do not usually write one but recalling everything God has done for me in the past years is a great way to jumpstart another year.

In no particular order, I am thankful for:

32 | My family's safety and good health -- I am really happy that we are in different seasons and in every season, we learn from each other

31 | Pets, the sources of joy in our home through the years

30 | Our homes in UP, Capitol Hills, Palawan, Pasig, and Fairview

29 | Friends that stuck with me through thick and thin -- especially for the growth, reconciliation, and revival of some

28 | My big heart for teaching, which began to grow during my time with Nanay and Tatay at PNU

27 | Growing advocacy to teach children with special needs -- Before I left the Philippines, I was really happy that I was able to help a struggling JHS student in a general education school, a college student writing his thesis (he finally graduated last June 2019), two boys struggling with reading, and a student with a serious medical condition. I spent my first birthday here in Japan teaching like normal and cleaning with four boys with special needs at my school. They had no idea it was my birthday, of course. But it really made me happy.

26 | Love for reading and writing -- Now is the time to do this due to more free time. 

25 | My mission to teach in Japan and my placement in Ayabe 

24 | Wider perspective about the world

23 | Fresh air in the countryside, safety from typhoon, tsunami, and earthquakes

22 | More free time to develop my hobbies

21 | Biking around town

20 | Continuous learning -- from MA to language classes; maybe a PhD? Let's see. 

19 | Being able to travel in 10 different countries in the past 10 years -- Japan, Korea, Singapore, China, U.S. (Illinois, California, Massachusetts, Georgia, and Nevada), Qatar, Hungary, Denmark, France, and Austria

18 | Opportunity to develop my cooking skills -- PRESSURE! Hahaha

17 | Experience all the seasons for realzzzz -- winter, spring, summer, and fall

16 | My minimalist and safe apartment -- Even though it's expensive, it consists of everything I need except for a pet huhu

15 | Time to practice making teaching materials on my own again

14 | Purification through difficult times (e.g. dealing with annoying people)

13 | A job that allows me to go home earlier than 5 p.m. (as long as my job is done)

12 | Opportunity to develop English speaking skills (e.g. a clear accent, pace, and projection that is easy and pleasant for students to understand)

11 | Time to put my Japanese language skills to a higher level and a very affordable class within the community

10 | Opportunity to do yoga and stay fit and active

9 | Financial breakthroughs -- I am able to pay off my borrowed money, give back, and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

8 | Travels around Japan with family and friends despite limited funds during my first year here -- Exploring Kyoto and its neighbors is something that I've never done in my past trips to Japan. I am thankful for meeting kind and generous people who love to travel.

7 | Two growing churches in Kyoto: Tanyo Church and Lifehouse Kyoto; my budding ministry in Lifehouse Kyoto

6 | Joy and passion in teaching and communicating with my students and co-teachers despite the language barrier

5 | A few friends in the workplace whom I can trust

4 | Filipino family here in Ayabe

3 | New and good friends from different nations

2 | Constant communication with my family and friends back home

1 | A whole heart that is stronger, contented, more loving, more forgiving, and more generous.

To be more grateful this year, I plan to write monthly goals again. I did this two or three years ago and it worked. Having an accountable friend also helps me to stay on track. As I tick the boxes, I feel more accomplished with finishing not just big but little things. And it also makes me feel good about myself.

I hope I will be able to maintain these grateful attitude throughout the year.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews