The Art of Changing Homes

What happens when someone moves to a new home? How does one's life changes? How does one's relationships grow through the years? And...

What happens when someone moves to a new home? How does one's life changes? How does one's relationships grow through the years? And what is the easiest way to get used to and adjust to the unknown environment? 

I've thought about these questions every time my family and I moved houses in the Philippines. As a family, we have moved five times due to numerous reasons. The earliest memory that I have is our apartment unit in Paco, Manila where we lived in the same building as my mother's sister, her husband, and cousins. Then, we moved to crowded neighborhoods nearby, San Andres Bukid and Aurora A. The next house was a big move from Manila to Quezon City because my father's office was and still is in UP Diliman. I also passed the UP entrance examination so we were really destined to go. We lived in Hardin ng Rosas until 1999. Most of my childhood were spent around off-white concrete apartment buildings with a relaxing view of rice fields. I played all sorts of Filipino games with my friends outside. I got scolded by my parents numerous times for not coming home on time or sneaking out of the house without their permission. But throughout my childhood, I was able to enjoy playing outside which I am now very grateful for. When our family moved to a bigger house in a quiet neighborhood in Area 2, I thought it was the end of all the good friendships I've had. I missed my fun childhood in Hardin ng Rosas. But eventually, I fell in love with the new home and peaceful environment. It was closer to my school, the university shopping center, and other places we went to frequently. I invited friends to our home and my parents were able to get to know them. I also grew closer to my family, storing a mixture of happy and sad memories in 20 years in this beautiful home. 

When I left the Philippines in 2019, I knew that leaving Manila and moving to Japan would be challenging. If I had the final say in my job placement in Japan, I wanted to work in a big metropolitan city like Manila. My first choice was Tokyo and my second choice was Osaka for these cities were the most familiar to me. In Tokyo, I could attend Dad's former church, Tokyo Baptist Church in Shibuya, and I've made friends with some of them in 2017. Living in Osaka would be convenient since it's close to the airport. It's easy to explore other places in Japan as well. It sounded so perfect. However, God has planned something else. I was placed in Ayabe city in northern Kyoto prefecture where I experienced God's turn-around years. 

During my first year of teaching in Ayabe, I couldn't deny that the thought of moving to Tokyo never came to my mind. Unexpectedly, a lot of events happened in the latter part of the school year. The pandemic began. So I decided to stay in the countryside to be safer and away from covid-19. Despite this, I was relocated to teach in Nishinomiya city in Hyogo prefecture not because of my performance but due to decisions by the Board of Education that were out of our control. I enjoyed the ambiance and convenience of this suburban city located near Amagasaki and Ashiya, all sandwiched in the middle of Kobe and Osaka. It was also easier to meet friends who lived in nearby cities. Kansai airport was only an hour away by train. However, due to the pandemic, I couldn't travel anyway. Shopping and exploration also got more exciting because I could visit various stores on my way home or on weekends. But I felt no sense of community in Nishinomiya that attaches me in a special way.

When I was about to make up my mind to stay for another year in the city, another surprise came from my former employer. Two months before the end of my contract, I was assigned to teach in Osaka for the following school year. I actually saw it as a good opportunity because I knew that Osaka was the assignment offered to me before I came to Japan. In 2017, I also dreamt of my Dad telling me that I am going to Osaka. I knew that working there would provide greater opportunities because I could teach in the company's biggest contracting schools and the contract could be more stable. It could also have been so exciting to live closer to the airport, meet a new Filipino community, and experience a busy city lifestyle too.

However, I was worried about the worsening pandemic and greater distance from the good community that I have in Kyoto. It was a risk that I had to prepare myself to take. Another challenge was the long distance relationship with my boyfriend. He supported my decision to move to Osaka despite the two-hour drive one-way. It was not because distance mattered that much in love, but time and money could be saved.

God must have heard our innermost prayers. I listened to God's voice that prodded me to send an email to a company that I applied to last year. The placement was Fukuchiyama city, a 20-minute or less drive from Ayabe. I couldn't get a placement without a driver's license then. But since I was already hired last year, my application process went smoothly for the second time, and the email exchanges and Skype final interview only happened in three days. Though I still didn't possess a driver's license, I was assigned to schools that could easily be accessed by train, bus, or bicycle. It was God's divine intervention. The job set-up matches my schedule and lifestyle well. The people at my schools were also kind and generous. It felt good to be back in northern Kyoto and live a laid-back lifestyle once again. 

Moving into my new apartment was really tedious. Who would have thought that I could accumulate a lot of stuff in a span of two years? With the help of my boyfriend and his family, I was able to move successfully. My Leo Palace apartment was just what I needed during this crazy pandemic. It was big enough for me, located in a peaceful neighborhood, and just a three-minute walk from the station. It also has a bigger kitchen that is located at the back of the main room near the sliding doors to the balcony. I'm not a fan of the small Japanese kitchens located right in front of the genkan or the main hallway. The layout is nice except for a sink in the main room near the closet. But it's very convenient to use. The rent is in the mid-range type, a little higher than my apartment in Nishinomiya but way lower than my apartment in Ayabe. I could save more money if I choose the older Leo Palace apartments but they are smaller. I still chose to live in a Leo Palace because of the appliances included in the rent. I don't want to spend on appliances that I will not use after I move out. Also, if I live in the city center, I will see my co-workers and students more which is a little weird for me. So, I'm really happy with my choice.

Now, the idea of moving seems to be less fearful and more therapeutic. I find art and joy in it. Whenever I move, I am packed with a lot of learnings and experiences. Let me start with this learning:

Moving makes you fearless.

People who move often appear to be less fearful about life. They take risks and embrace the unknown future with more courage and confidence.

Basically, I had no choice but to brave out and face the pandemic when it had struck Japan. I was able to contain my fears and pain of being away from my family and friends in the Philippines for almost two years. I also could not see my friends in Japan because of fear of getting the virus. I had to almost everything and move to a new place on my own.

I was moved by moving. 

Moving is tiring! Sometimes, it can cause breakdown and stress, especially if time is running out. As a single individual, it is daunting to do all the packing by myself. But I also realized that I was not alone at all. There were people who empathized and offered help to ease my burdens. 

When I was preparing for my big move to Japan, my family and friends helped me a lot in packing and getting everything I need. I also received help from people in Ayabe when I moved to Nishinomiya. People came over, put tapes on boxes, cooked dinner for me, carried the boxes to the moving van, got rid of my garbage, and took it to the recycling center or gave them to someone else who needed them. 

When I moved from Nishinomiya, one Japanese teacher helped me in accomplishing my medical requirements for my next job. It came in the process of packing so having someone to meet and release the stress with was helpful. On my moving day, my boyfriend drove his truck, carried my boxes, some furniture, and a mamachari bicycle. At first, we thought that everything wouldn't fit but he was able to be a McGyver and made all things intact. Whew!

The kindness and generosity of people have moved me.

Home is where God is.

When I first moved into my new apartment in Ayabe, it took a little time to get used to the different environment and community. Namamahay nga, ika sa atin. But I realized right away that we don't make our homes, God does. We can live anywhere for a short time, and for others, it takes forever. But God brought us to these places for great purposes beyond our imagination. Only by living in various homes could make us discover them. 

Some of my friends have told me that I'm already an expert at moving. But it's never the case. Each city that I lived in Japan portrayed a season of learning. Ayabe was full of adjustments and cultural immersion. Nishinomiya was about seeking and finding direction. Now, in Fukuchiyama, I am excited to continue braving out and begin a new chapter.

Through the years, I settled in homes with my family. I also moved out of our family home, out of the country, and into a foreign land by myself. The result was I found God more. I could trust Him that He would guide me to beautiful homes in the future. I could carry all the memories of homes that I've lived in, the relationships that I've built in it, and the learnings I've kept in my mind and by heart.

I thank God for always being with me wherever I go.

The dream houses that I drew for my directions and maps English lesson. <3

The beautiful art in changing homes is created through God's amazing work in us, the people that He has placed near us, and the amazing purpose that He has given us to fulfill.

"Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you." Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely, the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it." Genesis 28:15-16

"Then Isaac sowed in that land, and reaped in the same year a hundredfold; and the LORD blessed him. The man began to prosper, and continued prospering until he became very prosperous." Genesis 26:12-13

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews