The Unimaginable 2020

God gave me the word "unimaginable" for 2020 and indeed, it was fulfilled before my very eyes. The year was filled with too many u...



God gave me the word "unimaginable" for 2020 and indeed, it was fulfilled before my very eyes. The year was filled with too many unexpected events, too many changes, and too many adjustments for all of us. I wrote about mine in my previous blog, Insert [word] in a Time of Corona Virus, in the middle of the year. Everything felt uneasy and uncertain. But it was a good and healthy opportunity to slow down, wait on God, and develop fresh eyes to appreciate the things around me.

What made the year unimaginable was God's faithfulness, peace, wisdom, and love throughout the pandemic. There was no other who could have done what He did. He was present through it all.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23

During the surge of corona virus cases in Japan last March, I was worried about my job. I sympathize to those people who have experienced the worst situations--laid off, depressed, sick, and alone. I wouldn't wish that for anyone. Though I didn't lose my job and got relocated instead, it was very difficult to be alone and lonely (a kid once coined this alonely) in times of crisis. Despite this, God remained faithful. He has proven that suffering is always temporary no matter how painful, but an encounter with Him is eternal and brings everlasting satisfaction and joy. 

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6 NLT

At the beginning of the year,  my head was too crowded--whether to live or move out of Ayabe, Kyoto; our family dog dying; homesickness; and other noises from people, mostly in social media. Still, I was able to have peace that transcends all understanding. God's voice became so clear when I chose to have quiet times with Him rather than focusing on my situation or someone else's. Various thoughts come and go in our heads, but we can choose what to dwell on and keep. So we must worry less and trust God more.

"Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12 NIV

With God's guidance throughout the year, I was able to make the best decisions regarding job offers, financial investments, money spending, and relationships. Aside from reading the Bible and taking devotional plans, journaling helped me a lot, which is highly encouraged in our church. I sought God's answers to my daily questions and ramblings and waited upon Him. There were times when I was being impatient, prodding Him for answers. His wisdom equipped me to live each day with joyful expectation. True to His Word, He answered prayer after prayer at the best time. Amazingly, one of my greatest dreams and prayers have been fulfilled in a time of corona virus. So, God really knows best!

"I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." Psalm 32:8 NIV

I sought God and He gave me direction. I was worrying about career growth and advancement, Japanese language skills, cultural immersion, fear of missing out (FOMO) on the lives of my family and friends in the Philippines, living expenses versus savings, dating again, asthma condition, and many others. But God not only filled me with wisdom, He showered me with His love. Like a father who looked after His precious daughter, Jesus was guarding my heart and directing me in the way I should go. He assured me, "I have it all under control."

I was able to have a deeper understanding about my purpose here in Japan. It was all about making Jesus' love known to the people around me with or without using words. I could feel God's presence here. His love is available to everyone--regardless of age, cultural background, socio-economic status, or past experiences. Jesus does not withdraw His love from sinners and the brokenhearted. He loves us all the same. As His daughter who desires to share His steadfast love, my response is to drive out fear (Isaiah 41:10), do my part boldly, and never lose hope. I must battle everything in prayer. When things do not go the way I want them to be, I should let God move in them. And no matter what happens, I should never trade my relationship with Jesus for anything in this world.

Truly, the result of obedience is blessing. Jesus provides an abundant life to those who love Him and who are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). He taught me to exercise my faith more by remaining excited and hopeful although the future is a big blur. Though it takes some time for His plans to come into fruition, God is just perfecting His masterpiece. 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

In this new year, God has been telling me to keep doing what I am called to do. Keep sowing, keep worshipping, keep meeting Him, and keep telling people about Him. I should not stop because He is advancing. I should not grow weary in doing good (Galatians 6:9). I am still a work in progress but with God, I can overcome and grow. I was also reminded of a line in my life verse, 

"Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes. For you will spread out to the right and to the left..." Isaiah 54:2-3

Sometimes when I read the whole chapter of Isaiah 54, I feel overwhelmed. I ask God, "Are you really referring to me?" But then, as a daughter, there is more to expect from His Father: "This is what God's servants can expect. I'll see to it that everything works out for the best. God's Decree." (The Message Translation). 

2020 was indeed a year of wonder amidst the hardships. I have set aside my worries and fears and now determined to live a life in a constant state of expectancy. 

There will be obstacles for sure. But I now have a masterplan. I want to keep my life in touch with God, leaving room for Him to move and for His surprising power to break through at any point (Oswald Chambers). 

I decree this again, "My life in Japan will be fruitful."

I  #Anticipate2021 with a reckless reliance upon God. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews