All Things Shall Pass

March 3, 2020 On my way to school, I walked with a first-grade student named Hanyu, who was as tired as I was. The new schedule due to...

March 3, 2020


On my way to school, I walked with a first-grade student named Hanyu, who was as tired as I was. The new schedule due to nCoV, COVID-19, or the ウィルス was our topic. All the other students we passed by were tired too. But their good mornings gave a smile on my face.

Not knowing whether this would be the last day of the year gave me mixed emotions. When I entered the kyoinshitsu (teachers' room), the teachers gave me a look that I couldn't describe. It has been weeks since I last came here to teach. "Did she miss the memo?" was painted on an administrative staff member's face. Let's call him Mr. Friendly.

I wanted to tell him that I have been told to come to school regardless of the Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's announcement on class cancellations for the remaining days of the year. The Ayabe Board of Education decided to close school for two weeks. Then we all had to wait for further instructions. That was the part we were all confused about.

I said my cheery "Ohayou gozaimasu" to everyone. I listened and pretended to understand the third-grade teachers' morning meeting. The first morning bell rang and all the teachers who had classes disappeared to their respective classrooms.

After five minutes, the second morning bell rang. I stood up along with the administration staff, the koucho-sensei (principal) and kyoto-sensei (vice principal), said their usual あいさつ (greetings) and all of us greeted and bowed in return.

I had an empty schedule today. "Should I join other teacher's classes? I must accomplish something. I would need to stay here until the last period. What will a good teacher do? Should I firtle?" I thought. I learned the word 'firtle' from a friend. It was not even in the dictionary. It simply means to look busy despite doing very little, which completely described me during my free periods at school. Go figure.

A few seconds later, I figured out that this would be a good day to write.

Ayabe--the city where I slowed down in a good way. There were dull moments. But I often see them as a pause in the busy lifestyle that I had gotten used to in the past years of teaching. The slowness of the countryside was beneficial to my growth not only as a teacher but as an individual.


My thoughts started to drift to how I learned about the school life here in Japan. My farthest and smallest junior high school was situated in a town called Kanbayashi. I teach only 11 students from first to third grade. Despite the tiny class size, I am able to teach and interact with the students directly. Each student was given plenty of time to exercise their English skills, especially speaking skills. I will never forget the undying laughter over children's comments and stories during the activities.


The closest school to Kanbayashi is located in a town called Yamaga. I wonder why I never took the train to this school. The bus was more convenient though it only arrives in a station every hour. I enjoyed teaching the students with special needs who come from a nearby school dormitory to attend English, Physical Education, and Computer classes. When it comes to the regular students, the individual oral tests were great opportunities to build rapport with them and the most enjoyable for me.




In Monobe-cho, there is an old school built in 1947 which looked like it came out of a Studio Ghibli film. Forest and mountains surround the school. Though I have never seen animals, the kyoto-sensei told me that a bear often pays a visit. The kids said a deer, wild boar, or racoon sometimes come too. The teachers were surprised that I found the school beautiful. 



The exteriors and interiors were only a façade to the warmth of the teachers and students. One of my favorite activities with the students is Small Talk. It usually opens to interesting and thought-provoking discussions. Sometimes, it gets silly too. 




The nearest school to Monobe is located in Fukugaki which was mostly surrounded with green tea and rice plantations. The school involved me in almost everything--regular English classes, English classes for students with special needs, Eiken tests, school events and practices, and Japanese English Teacher's school observations. The latter was the most nerve wracking! The only thing that I was not able to do is to join the school clubs after school because I was usually asked to do something else. You could say that I got a full immersion in this school. 




My most isolated school could be found in a 10-minute train ride to Umezako, followed by a 5-minute walk. During the winter season, biking in the early hours of the morning to Ayabe station was very challenging. 




Another problem was the less frequency of train and bus rides in this area. So when my classes stretch up to the last period of the day, I have to run so fast to the train station, losing my breath, which usually made the Japanese locals from Maizuru shoot me a surprising look as if saying, "Here goes the teacher on a run again!" 


As for my students, the second and third graders' enjoyed learning English. Though there were few of them who really needed assistance, they were mostly attentive during class. Similar to most schools, the oral tests were the most interesting because I could converse with each student and we could learn more about each other.



This school where I am currently in right now is the biggest and busiest school that I mostly frequent to. At first, the teachers asked me to provide English activities. Then my interaction with the students changed to oral tests where I assess each student's speeches individually or in pairs. I would never forget giving oral tests in the hallways during snowy days. The students and I had chills. Literally! I especially enjoyed the interactions with the students during kyushoku (lunch time), souji (cleaning time), and other break times in this school because many of them were more relaxed and less shy. 






Ironically, this was my first and last teaching day of the school year. How funny it is that I get a free schedule all day again? Just like on my first day, I warmed up at my desk until the awkwardness faded into thin air. I started to not care at all. Everyone was busy as usual.

The kyushoku lady approached me and handed an envelope where I usually put my lunch money. I asked her about the school schedule. Not knowing how to respond in English, she and the administration staff explained to me in simple Japanese. I was able to understand the gist of what they were saying. This was my last day at school. My JTE in third grade explained to me in English. In this city, the classes would resume on the 16th. "What should I do today then?" I thought. "Interact."

So there was still a chance to say goodbye to four out of six schools. I suddenly started thinking about how I could make those days special.

Last Friday, I bid the third graders goodbye at the school in Fukugaki. I gave them a short farewell speech. I left them three important points: 1) Keep trying. Do your best. 2) Enjoy life. Take a rest. Join a club that they like. Have fun. 3) Make friends. Good ones. Make friends with foreigners like me. They were very happy and warm. I told them how short this year was and thanked them for their efforts and energy. They told me, "See you!" as if that wasn't the last.

In my special needs classes, I was surprised to receive origami gifts from two of my students. The girl read her letter to me and gave me a cat origami. My eyes were nearly swelling with tears. "Don't cry," I told myself. Though the boy didn't go to class, my JTE read his heartfelt letter and gave me a flower and a swallow origami. These were some of the best gifts any teacher would want to receive.



Last week, we were not sure how things would turn out. I was surprised when my JTEs and students started telling me kind words. Woah, I felt like the last days are coming!

You are a hard worker.
You are friendly and kind.
You are a good person.
I know that you will do it anywhere.
Sabishi desu.
-Ms. Ai, mentor 

The students enjoy your lesson.
Your lessons are easy to understand.
I will like to continue teaching with you.
Sabishi desu. 
- Ms. M, 3rd Grade JTE special support teacher

I enjoy talking with the ALT. I gradually love English.
- second grade student's self-introduction for an interview, as part of his application to Australia-Japan exchange program

Your questions are very interesting.
It is getting better and better.
You are soft. Your attitude to students is good. They can feel good atmosphere.
-Ms. S, 3rd year JTE

During souji, I interacted with the students as we cleaned the classroom and hallways. While I was sweeping the floor, one boy with a broom faced me and shouted, "Watashi - wa - aishite - imasu!!!" Then he ran to the other side of the hallway and swept the floor there. I confirmed what he said to the female student who was half-Filipino and half-Japanese.  She said it meant "I love you." Then I said it back to the students, "Minna-san, watashi wa aishite imasu." Man, I held back my tears once more.

When the school bell rang at the end of the sixth period, all the teachers came back to the teachers' room. I walked up to my JTE teachers to say goodbye. They, too, told me very nice things that only a teacher leaving the school would hear.

You are so useful.
You talk to the students a lot. You eat with them. You clean with them.
This is so sad.
-Ms. K, 1st year JTE

Your English is easy to understand.
The students understand the lessons.
-Ms. T, 3rd year JTE

Thank you so much. I enjoyed as well. Ganbatte kudasai.
- Mr. N, 2nd year JTE

Samishi ne. I wanted to know more about the dyslexia.
- Ms. K

Samishi ne. Ogenki de. Ganbatte kudasai. Arigatou gozaimasu.
-three administration staff members

One of those staff members, Mr. Friendly, led me to the koucho-sensei. Even though she was having a meeting with another person and the kyoto-sensei, she went out to say goodbye. Kyoto-sensei said, "Sabishi desu ne. Arigatou gozaimashita." I felt the sadness in her voice and saw it in her eyes. She said so many things in Japanese which Mr. Friendly tried to translate in English. Words failed us but the feeling was mutual. Mr. Friendly watched me put on my outdoor shoes and walk out the door. Then he called me from the balcony, "Bai bai, Kaye-sensei!" I waved at him and said, "Arigatou gozaimashita! Good bye!"



If there is one thing that I realized from these sudden and unfortunate happenings, it is to make the most out of everything. Appreciate people. Tell people how you feel about them. Because you will never know when you will see them again. Crappy thoughts, right?

Thoughts about the outbreak flashed through my mind as I tried to wrestle with various emotions. "How could this unfortunate event in my career happen during a virus outbreak? How will the country battle through the unseen enemy in the next few weeks? Where will I find myself as an English teacher in Japan amidst these? Why are these negative emotions --fear, nervousness, anxiety-- suddenly mixed all at once?" These are honest questions that I will leave unanswered for awhile.

Maybe I don't really need direct answers right now. I just need to flow. Or maybe, I'm just hormonal.

Whew.

All things shall pass.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews