Snippet from a Japanese Student's Love Story

I opened my lesson slots in RareJob tonight, not knowing what I was in for. I had three students. One was a 38-year old man, a Mechanical...


I opened my lesson slots in RareJob tonight, not knowing what I was in for. I had three students. One was a 38-year old man, a Mechanical Engineer who lives in Nara Prefecture. He designs the stirring system of cars. He is married and has two sons. He and his wife lived in Yokohama four years ago.

We talked about my recent trip to Japan last October. He asked me about the sites I saw in Japan. The Tokyo Tower was the first thing he mentioned. I expected it a bit because it was one of the main attractions in Tokyo. But it came to me as a surprise tonight. Then he mentioned the Sky Tree. I said I only saw it but I haven't visited it yet. He said he hasn't been there too. But according to him, the Sky Tree was better due to its good antenna. I asked him more about the Tokyo Tower.

Me: Did you like the Tokyo Tower?
The Tower Man (Let's call him that.): Yes... I like ..very much.. I... like it.
Me: You can also say, "I like it very much."
TTM: Ah... I like it very much. Yes, I like it very much.
Me: Why?
TTM: Very beautiful.
Me: It is very beautiful.
TTM: Yes. My wife.. first date.. in Tokyo Tower.
Me: My first date with my wife was in Tokyo Tower. Is that right?
TTM: Yes. It's beautiful.
Me: Was it memorable for you?
TTM: Yes. I remember it well.

Then I told him that my Skype picture was in the Tokyo Tower. He was surprised because he could not remember. Maybe because he was too focused on his future wife at that time that he forgot about the view. Aww, love.

This is one of the reasons why I enjoy teaching in RareJob. It teaches me about a lot of things that I do not expect to know. I get inspired because of my students' stories like what happened tonight.

Talking to my students from a different culture and seeing that I can also share similar experiences or views with them makes our world smaller.


Oh, Japan. One day, I will go back to you and I will relive and make more memories.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews