Resonating with Walter Mitty (Not Secretly)

If you will have all the time and money in the world, what would you do? That question popped up when I attended a small group talk ...



If you will have all the time and money in the world, what would you do? That question popped up when I attended a small group talk about a private franchising business last night. The first thing I thought about was to travel the world. Aside from that, I wanted to be a philanthropist and help out the children with special needs who are less fortunate through teaching. But I also want to get trained in this area. I also wanted to attend classes and be mentored in photography, writing, making music, art, or dance. The sad part was I never got to seriously do one of those in three years since I started working.

Don't get me wrong. I do love work. Teaching kids and seeing them learn something from me is a reward that is irreplaceable by fancy or material things. Making a small difference in their lives is a gift that I would never trade off for anything. But I also feel that work becomes tiring when you are deeply involved in it, day in and day out, and you are slowly losing parts of yourself. I do not want that to happen. In fact, I have been trying to savor myself from zoning out.

One way of savoring myself is through traveling. People say I travel a lot. I do it because it keeps me sane and sends me back to a different kind of happy state that I would never get from work. This does not mean that my work does not make me happy. It does! There is just an unexplainable difference that only those people who have a big heart for travel know and understand.

Another way to savor myself is to take photos and edit them. Even though I have not attended photography and photo-editing classes yet, I never stopped taking photos and learning based on my experiences. I still search and learn from other photographers online and in person. I also try to learn from the worldwide source of all information, the Internet. This humble hobby is related to my love for travel. Because if I plan and see the world, I need to capture it in good photos in order to easily return to the experience whenever I like. However, I admire what Sean O'Connell said in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty:

"If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don’t like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it."
Staying in the moment is a perfect way to capture a picture. The photographer's eyes become the camera. And the moment becomes a part of the photographer's life.

Writing reminds me of who I am. Whenever I finished a poem, an essay, a paper for school, or a simply a blog entry like this one, I get really happy. Holding a finished work of writing keeps me excited even though I know it will get criticized or it will never be read. I actually do not mind showing my true self in writing. It is actually where people will get to know the real me.


Music elavates a part of myself. Whether it is music from an mp3 player, a car radio, a live musician with a band, or simply music from nature, listening to music completes a part of who I am. Singing it like owning the lyrics, playing keys on the piano, dancing to a tune, whether beautifully or amateurishly gives a sudden burst of energy. It defines the moment. Like if a caption is to a photo, a song is to a life event. A song becomes a part of the soundtrack of my life and it helps me not to lose myself to the world.

Reading also reminds me that there is fantasy, a world apart from our own. But they can be representations of the real world where we live in such as characters in novels that we can relate to. As much as reading brings me to fantasy, it also guides me back to reality. Due to this, I become more hopeful and my dreams become bigger.


The presence of people I value and care about the most also keeps me from losing myself. They are always there to remind me who I was, who I am, and who I can be. They fill in the blanks about myself that I have forgotten or have never realized. I am very grateful for the people who are still sticking with me and have stood the test of time. I do hope each one of us always have people like them in our lives.


God, above all, saves me from losing myself. He is my Maker and He knows me more than anybody else in this world. He even knows me more than I know myself. Because He knows my past, present, and future, I give Him all the authority to mold me to the person He destined me to be. When I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, I realized that the purpose of life is actually not just to travel the world, to take photos, to write, to quit a job, to meet people, to fall in love, to get a new job, to get rich, to face dangerous things, and so forth. It dawned on me that the greatest purpose of life is actually to get to know the One who made me.. you.. us. Because if we all know Him, He will guide us in finding ourselves and living our full potential, and the rest will unfold in front of our eyes and into our hands.

Despite all the things I do to save myself, one thing that still makes me lose it is fear. At church today, I was reminded about breaking down walls of fear. We sometimes allow fear to build walls between us and our dreams. If this happens, then we will really end up not reaching our dreams. We will result to daydreamers, zoning out in the world and not taking action. I began imagining this occuring in my life. I do not want it for I want my dreams aligned with God's plans to flourish.

To answer the question, "What will you do if you have all the time and the money in the world?" today, I am still saying that I want to travel the world, be a philanthropist, and get trained and learn different things. But I want to do it all for God. You see, the purpose of pursuing our dreams becomes more meaningful when they are aligned with God's purpose in our lives. When we are doing the things we love for Him, then dreams are not just dreams. They become realities. Work is not just work. It becomes an activity in our days that we look forward to and find joy in.

This year, I plan to get out of my comfort zone and face the unknown. Who knows what will happen when I do this? Financial crisis? Less socials? No travel? Endless search for things? Whatever. I am only sure that I will not be alone. And this time, I will make sure that there will be no zoning out or caving in. But stepping up, standing strong, and crossing over. Attraversiamo.

Skate away.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews