Rethinking Romance

Back in 2010, I read the book entitled Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris for the very first time. This book was as special to me as his fi...


Back in 2010, I read the book entitled Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris for the very first time. This book was as special to me as his first book I Kissed Dating Goodbye. But I only bought his second book as a reminder of God's promise to me in 2002.

I once said in a blog that I would never write about *whoishe?* again until God says so. Actually, I still do not know who he is. But I just wanted to share how this book can really help us in waiting for the right one or in that season of finding out if he or she is the right one.

Finding the book once again after two years caused me to reread its now off-white pages. I want to understand more how God creates love stories. When I started reading Part I, I realized right away that I do not know enough. This book is speaking to me in a different light now. As I read the book, I listed some of God's quotable quotes.

1. Implicitly trust the Master to bring what is good.

Most of our questions are toward meeting the one. When in fact, we should simply relax and just enjoy the journey of meeting the one. Because God has already planned it well.

2. Do what is best for another.

When you truly care about another person, you act in accordance to him/her. You are no longer thinking about yourself. Your desire becomes selfless.

3. "No matter where we are today or what mistakes we've made in the past, He has given us everything we need to glorify Him right now."

Forever and ever amen. (: 

4. Falling in love was God's idea.

God is the author of romance. So we must always be reminded by the Song of Songs 8:4. Do not awaken love until it so desires. Simple? Nah. But trust me, it is worth it. I've been there. Letting go and letting God is the best decision you will ever make when it comes to falling in love.

 5. Wisdom is the art of living skillfully in whatever actual conditions we find ourselves.

Wisdom is essential in a skillfull romance. You are setting aside yourself and you are letting yourself be directed by what is true about God and about the world He has made.

6. Time is keeping everything from happening all at once.

I believe in this perspective about time. Everything has its own perfect timing. If all of your dreams were to happen all at once (the dream job, the wedding, the husband and kids, the travels, etcetera, etcetera...), how would you feel? Will you be able to do it all? Your dreams become more beautiful when the timing is right.

7. Date with a purpose. 

The purpose is to grow closer to each other but all for the very clearly stated purpose of finding out if God would have you married. Courtship, just like being in a relationship, is a commitment. You must consider marriage. This was a "WOW moment" to me. I have to ask myself several times if I am ready or will I be ready for it. Courtship is truly a serious thing.

8. Observe each other in real-life settings--in families, church life, with friends, and even handling pressure at work.

I have looked back on the times I have dated. I realized that all of them mostly include getting to know the person outside of the family, church, school, and with friends. We were always in our own exclusive world. Thus, those dates were far from the skillful romance that enables two people to know the true character of each other. In order to truly know each other, you need to know if the true character of someone can win your heart. The next one surely has to be a skillful romance.

 9. Philippians 4:6-7.

Keep in mind: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

10. Find a man that you can follow.

I always have a weak heart for fathers and daughters. I believe that fathers want their daughters to follow their commands and look up to them as an inspiration. Whether they have failed or succeeded in this, they desire a life that their daughters can follow. Because someday there is a possibility of a similar man that will lead their daughters' lives as well. Whether that man comes like a 'knight in shining armor' or 'quietly like an old friend,' fathers know that if it comes from the hand of God, then their daughters are in good hands. Let God find the man you can follow for you just as he chose your father for you to follow.


If you ask me if I am ready for romance, I am only rethinking. I believe only God knows who, when, where, or how and I entrust it all to Him. During this season of waiting, I will fix my eyes on Him and let Him lead me to it at the right time.


I will reread and write about Part II: The Season of Courtship once I get there. To you, my friends and family, who are in a season of courtship or getting there, may your stories be an inspiration.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nicely written Ate Kaye :) Really admire your positive outlook in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you. I don't usually see myself as having a positive outlook. But I may do have it due to God's grace.

      Apple? I'm not sure who you are. Hehe. Thank you for reading this blog. God bless you in whatever season you are in. :-)

      Delete

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews