Center for the Welfare of Children Poster Making Contest 2013

I have never done much volunteer work in my life. I believe opportunities for volunteer work also come with the kind of education you are ha...

I have never done much volunteer work in my life. I believe opportunities for volunteer work also come with the kind of education you are having or the job you are doing. It involves a lot of time. And in the last few years, I have not had the time to do it apart from my responsibilities at home and in school and my commitments to my current job. As a teacher, I thought that volunteering would be easier. But I have done more volunteer work during my undergraduate years due to my school organizations and course requirements than during my teaching career. I am always at school during the weekdays while I prioritize spending my time with family, friends, and of course God during the weekends. When there is a great need to help out in the communities, like typhoon relief operations, I made it to a point to volunteer and donate. However, that only happened once or thrice in the past three years.

Surprisingly, I had the opportunity last Saturday, July 20, 2013 to accompany some of our students at the Center for the Welfare of Children (CWC) Poster Making Contest through the courtesy of Autism Society of the Philippines. Since my co-teachers were not available and I was free, I volunteered to accompany the students along with their supportive parents.

I was more than excited to volunteer because this was my first time to do this kind of thing as a professional teacher outside the school. My co-teacher and I prepared the students through a meeting a fews days before the big day. I also gathered them one day before in order to give them some guidelines and check up on their concept design.


The contest with a theme of "Kahirapan Wakasan, Karapatan ng Bata Ipaglaban" (End poverty, fight for children's rights) was held at the Center for the Welfare of Children office in #10 Apo Street Sta. Mesa Heights, Brgy. Sta. Teresita, Quezon City. The contest was created mainly for children with all kinds of disabilities. Honestly, I had no idea that such an office existed until that day. When I researched about them the night before the contest, I was even happier that I volunteered to accompany our students. Sadly, I was looking for ways on how to share the contest online through Twitter or Facebook but there were no ads or posters on their site or social networking sites.

Libreng drawing class

Almost all of the students arrived on the venue on time. I was one of the early birds along with two of our students. The contest proper started late because there were a few speakers and a long drawing tutorial. We wished all the children benefited from the tutorial but I have to admit that only one participant did. As for the audience, I did. Hahaha.


One of our students had a difficult time when he arrived because he wore a uniform instead of a civilian clothing. He got so anxious. Before I got to talk to him, his mother called his father and his father was on his way to bring civilian clothes for him. Actually, if I were the parents, I would simply talk to the child and let him accept that wearing a uniform did not make him look bad. Wearing a school uniform could even show that he is proud of his school. My co-teacher texted me about it and I showed the text message to our student before the contest began. He shyly smiled after reading it. He was already dressed in his civilian clothing.

When asked who's the teacher in the middle, he said, "It's you!" Aww.
As for the student in my advisory class, I was happy that his mother was there to support him. Since this was his first time join a poster making contest, his mother was really nervous. I was a little nervous too because the student kept changing his mind about going to the contest a few days before. There were times when he would say that he was ready. Other times, he would say that he does not want to join. There was also a problem with creating a concept. Since he had difficulty with comprehension, he needed a guide to come up with an idea instead of creating an idea spontaneously on his own. The night before the contest, his tutor called me and we had a short concept-making for the child, hoping that he would be able to understand the theme of the poster and then come up with a plan. I am so relieved that he worked on his own the moment the contest started.


As for the other two students who joined the contest, there were no big problems. They were naturals in this thing. However, there was a little problem with their attitude towards others. Their tone of voice appeared disrespectful at times. And they were not smiling often. Social skills are skills that they are generally weak at. I am not surprised at all. I do believe that exposing them to these venues and teaching them how to behave will eventually change their misbehaviors.

Bonding with the parents for two hours while watching the participants finish their works of art was something that I was thankful for. I was able to understand their kids more. I was even learning how they deal with their sons when situations like these arise. I admire them for the hard work and support they are doing.

One moment in the contest caught my whole heart the most. I had the opportunity to talk to a physiologist (I am quite not sure actually). She said she is also a community worker in Tondo and Valenzuela. She has mistaken me as one of the volunteer students from UST. When I told her that I am a teacher of four of the contestants, she said that I looked younger for my age. I laughed it off. Then we talked about our jobs. She hoped that someday we could work together. I said that her job is actually my dream job, something that I wanted to do in the future: Volunteer; help out in the communities who are really in need of help; do it as a job or a part of my job. My heart made a leap. However, I was not able to talk to her again. I also did not get her contact number. But I was more than glad to have an idea of what I wanted to do someday.

Two of our students' artworks
There were plenty of food from Jollibee served throughout the morning. We were totally blessed. Setting aside a time for these children brought me joy. I am also proud of our students who shared their talents. We might not have an idea of who the winners are yet, but we are already happy for the experience this contest has brought to our students. As we have always reminded our students, "We are after the experience. winning is just a bonus."

I will definitely do this again and again.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews