Amélie: The Movie

Once I finished my tasks this afternoon, I decided to watch the French movie Amélie. This movie was something old yet new to me. I have been...

Once I finished my tasks this afternoon, I decided to watch the French movie Amélie. This movie was something old yet new to me. I have been dying to watch it since I was in my preteen years but I never had the chance. I completely forgot that I listed down the movie in my Tumblr Movie List a few years ago and I downloaded a torrent file a few days ago. It is such a huge relief to be able to watch it at last.


For me, Amélie was fun, artistic, witty, depressing, and authentic. The little Amélie kind of reminded me of the little Matilda. There was something magical in her. She created her own fantasy world where she leads her own adventures. For a second, I thought she has special powers and she was determined to save the world. Well, she actually did plan to spread goodness to people in a womanly Zorro kind-of-way...


I fell in love with Amélie's character right away. She reminded me of myself a lot. I was an introvert like her at 24 years old. I also wear vintage, can live with anything vintage, and I love Paris and the color red. I have a job that I enjoy though I could ask for more. I have always planned to make a difference by helping people and spreading love and kindness. I have been in a relationship with men though true love has never landed on my feet. The only thing that makes a lot of difference between Amélie and I was that she lived independently with only a cat in her apartment and I have neither lived alone nor slept next to a cat all my life. I have always lived with my parents and I preferred to live with dogs.


The movie showed the importance of family which I really liked. I could not imagine the feeling of losing a mother at a very young age though it must be not so terrible for Amélie. When she was young, she could not wait for herself to be old enough to leave her parents' home and live independently. Still, out of love, she still visited her father even though she was already living in heart of Paris. It reminded me of my family values: to love and care for the ones who took care of us.


Amélie's quest for true love in the movie turned out to be so cute. Amélie and Nino grew up five miles apart from each other. When they were young, they longed for a brother and a sister to play with. Once their paths crossed again, Amélie fell in love with Nino. At first, she could not acknowledge her own feelings though she managed to overcome her fears by the help of Mr. Colignon, the old artist living in the same apartment building as hers (really grumpy but lovable!). Slowly but surely, she directed Nino through a game for him to know who she really was.

If Amelie chooses to live in a dream and remain an introverted young woman, she has an absolute right to mess up her life! -Mr. Colignon




Honestly, I was not so fond of Nino. He, too has an adventure of his own but he did not quite notice Amélie until the end. Maybe he was so shy or he was so focused on collecting pictures of people from the photo booth. Ha-ha. But I guess I am just the kind of person who prefers the man to fall in love first and make the first move. I just did not like it when he only made a move when he was told by Amélie's co-worker that the girl was Amélie. He could have thought of a way to find out for himself. I am such a traditional Filipina! Hahaha!

Anyways, guy frustrations are starting to come out again. LOL. But like Amélie, I believe I will find my luck at the right time. Luck is truly similar to a Tour de France. Wait, and let it flash past you. And of course, you need to catch it while you can.

My most favorite part:
Photo: "She's in love."
Nino: "I don't even know her."
Photo: "You do."
Nino: "Since when?"
Photo: "Since always. In your dreams."
Salut!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thank you for posting screencaps of the film! I'm studying this film for my design class, but had trouble finding large (enough) images of the parts of the film I wished to discuss; taking my own screencaps wasn't an option. Thank you again, and good luck on your blog! I liked your reader-friendly analysis of the film.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JM!

    Thank you dropping by here in my humble blog. You are most welcome. I am glad you were able to make use of these screencaps. I have also found some of them in the internet. I guess the only credit I did was to put the good parts of the film together. Hehe. I would love to read/hear about your design analysis of the film too!

    K

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews