32 Things I Learned From Europe

The world has a lot to offer. I learned that ever since I started traveling as a teenager. Maybe traveling has already grown in me ever sinc...

The world has a lot to offer. I learned that ever since I started traveling as a teenager. Maybe traveling has already grown in me ever since my parents brought me abroad when I was only two years old. But it only ignited again when I was already grown up enough to travel. 

I believe one traveller does not need to be aware that he/she is traveling. I think those are the best travels! Still, we all get to a certain time in our lives that we are ready. For example, ready enough to jump on a train and get lost. Or ready to lose something valuable in a hotel room and laugh it all off in the end. Or even sleep in a dorm room full of strangers and make friends. I believe these happen in a certain time that we are completely ready to face the world.


Travelling brings amazing experiences. These experiences are fully packed with stories that we tell to our children and our children's children. These stories are filled with people that have influenced us, surprised us, and showed us that the world is a better place to live in. 


One month and 6 days ago (Today is August 8, 2012), I flew approximately 6,296 miles from the Philippines to Copenhagen, Denmark. Though the distance did not beat the 7,345 miles from the Philippines to Los Angeles that I travelled last year, these were the most tiring travels I've had. I had to stay and wait in two airports for a day twice! Luckily, Hong Kong International Airport and Doha International Airport were two of the best airports in the world or else I would hate the travels forever. But I actually did not hate anything despite the long distance. Instead, the ups and downs of our travels amazed me. That is why I am now here, in front of my laptop, ready to share to the world the things I learned from Europe.


32 Things I Learned From Europe

1. There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.
Dragør, Copenhagen, Denmark
When I first saw this sign posted at the back of the cashier of a vintage store, I immediately agreed. Whether big or small, if it made a difference, then be thankful for it. In the middle of tough times, there is always something good about to come up.

2. Master how to navigate. 
Paris City Map
If there is a time to study maps of the city and transportation routes before making the trip to the city, grab the opportunity. It is always better to be prepared and have everything planned instead of going there without a single clue. Besides, it saves plenty of time! One hour of studying and taking notes about transportation is better than one hour of finding the way or trying out wrong directions and routes.

3. Pack light. Do layering! 
This photo belongs tonoriko.stardust
Before flying, be sure to pack the right pairs of clothes. In this recent trip to Europe, I researched about the basic clothes to wear in each country I visited. I even wrote all the outfits that I  mixed and matched. Choosing the proper colors that go well with each other had made it easier as well. If there was one thing I forgot to do, it was to check the weather forecast each day before going out.
Amalienborg Slot, Copenhagen, Denmark
In Europe, the weather is very unpredictable. Summer seasons not only bring hot and warm weather but also cool and windy weather. You won't know when it will rain or shine. The weather forecasts even fail sometimes. It is still best to be prepared. 

4. Pray, pray, and pray. Travel with faith!
Travelling is not going to be as beautiful without faith and prayers. This has been proven to me several times even before I applied for a visa application and bought plane tickets to my destination. Everything will be laid out nicely, sometimes crazily when we waver. But in the end, everything will always come out beautifully.
Wing ring in Copenhagen
Wing ring in Vienna
Wing ring in Budapest
I wore a wing ring served as a sign to fly to all the places I have been through. I have handed the other wing to my Best Friend who always knows when and where to fly. Pardon me for Paris was too beautiful that I forgot to take a picture of the ring on my hand.
To make up for it, wing ring now sits on the miniature Eiffel that I bought in Paris and now sitting beside my bed.

5. Try to learn the country's language and speak the common expressions. The locals appreciate it more! :-)

6. If you can help it, stay away from technology (I'm referring to the Internet :p). Though it can help a lot if you are lost and you can just check with a free local wi-fi/hotspot, set aside a time to stay away from it once in a while. Live, live, live!
At Hongkong International Airport
7. Learn to sleep anywhere. But don't let yourself be left behind by the plane or the train. This has been proven to me when I suddenly rushed to get my things in the train from Auxerre to Paris. Because I got a painful sprain, I walked on cobble stones limping!

Slept in 5 airports since 2008 | Macau Airport

8. Maximize the use of your euro coins. Travelling in other European countries means you're going to receive different currencies. Some European countries don't accept euro coins, only bills. And they're going to give you change in their own currency. So better use up all those euro coins in transportation expenses as much as possible. 

9. Wet your hair if needed. Lately, I just realized that water is really bad for the hair. Even Europeans do not wet their hair everyday. I'm not saying that they do not take a bath everyday. Actually they really don't take a "full" bath, if you know what I mean. Honestly, I found it not so bad after all. Due to this, I wet my hair every other day ever since I came back. It actually feels softer and manageable. BUT I still can't stand it if I do not get to take a bath in the morning. I get extremely moody during the rest of the day. Try it.

10. God's angels exist. Everywhere. Have you ever experienced being lost and the right people seemed to come to you in order to direct you to the proper direction? That happened to us a lot in this trip. If only I could find them all, I would thank them again. 

11. Think positive!!! Let go of the bad vibes!!! Being hot-headed won't work, especially in a continent like Europe where noone knows your name.

12. Panicking won't bring you to anywhere safe. This is just too self-explanatory. I always learn this every time.

13. Help yourself. Secure your belongings. Hold on to your travel documents at all times. Buy a small travel bag or just put it in one pocket inside your bag. I repeat. ONE. When you carry a dSLR camera like mine, put a string on your camera and its cover lens. I really lost a lot of things during this trip. But all thanks to God.. I lost and found them all back!
Auxerre Boat Ride | Where I found my cover lens

14. Empower your camera. If you like taking pictures, then an SD with an extra larger memory and an extra-charged battery will help a lot. This can lessen the frustrations from running out of memory or battery while shooting significant views and happenings around the city.

15. Appreciate your hosts in any way that is best for them. ;) 

16. Say "thank you" or "Merci" more passionately. Do it the French way!

17. Europe is the perfect place to dream. 
The Museumsquartier Hof, Vienna, Autria (Photo taken by HenC)
At the Museumsquartier, I had a talk with my "sister" about the future 'til around two in the morning. It seems really strange for us to be walking at night in Vienna and feeling so safe. We laughed a lot about the past, acknowledged the present, and hoped for the future. Truly magical.

18. Eating bread everyday is not so bad. I already miss it. We have tons of bread now at home. Hindi nga lang 'yung matigas. :( 
Auxerre, Burgundy, France

19. Do not hesitate to ask people for directions. They will say that they speak "a little" English. I find that really cute! But they will still try to help you in any way they can.

20. Even though you are a tourist, you can still make yourself useful by carrying a MAP. Other tourists will even ask you questions. Seek help and offer help. Make it two-way! (:


21. Love the one you are with. Respect and honor your companion, whoever they are. Even though you seem to know a lot about things, let your companion lead you once in awhile. You are NOT a tourist guide. You are a loved one and a friend.
Qatar Airways: Best plane rides everrr!

22. Not everyone is a student, Teacher Kaye. :) Yes, the world is my classroom. But I am a student in it. So, even though I am also a teacher by profession, that does not mean that others are my students. Humbling myself and accepting that I may know something but I do not know everything are pretty much eye-openers for me. Speak kindly. Respect at all times. Thank you, Mom for helping me realize this.

23. Open your eyes. Men in the Philippines are not the only good-natured and good-looking men in the world. 
There he was just walking down the street... HAHAHA

24. Be friendlier. 
Some people would want to talk to you. I could have created a lot of beautiful friendships along the way if I was more open with people. My Asian default of being shy and conservative kicked in during this trip. Let's leave the explanation as that because I regretted this so much. ((:
If we are, then we will be | Vienna, Austria
There is nothing really wrong with befriending "good" strangers. Right? 

25.  You are beautiful.
I always see myself as boring and dull to look at. I do not have strikingly radiant skin, big eyes, luscious lips, pointed noise, nicely shaped ears, and a 5"6 height. However, this did not affect me when I travel at all. Although I have seen so many beautiful women during my travels, I have neither wished to be like them nor wanted to change something in me. I do appreciate their beauty. But that ends there. Every time I come home, I would see Filipino celebrities passing by and I never had the same excitement as I have had before. I also do appreciate their beauty. Still, it ends there. My view on beauty actually widened into a bigger concept, farther than the physical definition of beauty could carry. So "YOU (whoever you are) are beautiful." Believe in that.

26. Have a solitude moment!
When you're tired of walking along sunny cobbled streets, take a stroll in the park and sit on one of the benches. Think. Dream. And EAT! 

27. Don't underestimate people. 
Whether Europeans work in white collar or blue collar jobs, they seemed to not take it against each other. They all acted professionally. I was even surprised to see young blue collar workers in Vienna who happened to be so hot! It totally hit me. I really could not underestimate them just because they sell in the park or construct roads. Hahaha! 

28. There's more to France than Paris..


There's Auxerre,
Clamecy,
Vezelay,
.. and many others!

29. Sadly, Filipinos are one of the snobbish people in Europe. 
Ang taray mo talaga, Burger King clerk!!!
When I stopped by to eat at Burger King near the Opera House, I met this lady at the counter. She asked for my order and I said, "French fries and Fruita." I accidentally said Fruita! HAHAHA. How could she blame me? This was the first time I said it out loud because I have been saying "Royal" all my life. Then she replied, "Ha? It's FUN-TUH!" as she filled in my cup. She even whispered some things about being a Filipina. I didn't dare listen or reply back. Oh-em-gee! I could throw the Fanta back at her. It was a good thing I am too modest to do that at that time.
My message to you, lady: There's still room for change. 

30. Eat slowly. Enjoy eating your food. ;)






I have never eaten so slow in my entire life until I experienced service à la russe (the act of serving courses sequentially) at one of the fine dining restaurants in Auxerre. I found out that food becomes more delicious when eaten slowly. And we become more appreciative of every dish served to us, whether it's an appetizer, an entrée, or a dessert.

31. Take note of the smallest details. 
I always forget to write down or take a picture of the smallest details like the name of the restaurant we ate in or the train station we arrived at. I am really bad at remembering names though I had a snapshot of it in my head the moment I saw it. I am more of a visual person. I have been helping myself by saving it on my phone though sometimes I still forget.

32. Expose yourself to different cultures. 
Exposing yourself will enrich you, help you evaluate yourself, and discover and rediscover your own values. You will always see something different from yourself. C'est la vie (Such is life. This is just the way life is). 

My Euro Trip has never been so real to me until that day when the airplane flew from Clark to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Qatar, and Qatar to Denmark. Having a Euro Trip with my Mom has been scratched off my plans due to my job and finances. But Mom insisted on asking Dad and he said yes. Then the next thing I knew, my request for a leave and my application for a Schengen visa was approved. Wala na akong kawala. There was God, commanding me, "GO!"

Travelling has not just been about buying plane tickets, going to a distant country, experiencing another culture, spending money, and sharing stories to family and friends. It is the process of losing what lacks, searching what exists, and finding what awaits. It involves deeper sense of emotions that merely come out when one is genuinely in joy or in sorrow. It creates patterns in the path we walk on and marks out the roads where we can learn from. It develops the will to dream and inspires the spirit to achieve that dream. It even makes way for beautiful conversations to happen between God and man. In other words, travelling is the act of finding one's self, one's direction, one's life. 

When recently asked by a friend, "Ano bang nagpapasaya sa'yo? Paano ka ba mag-relax or mag-enjoy? (What makes you happy? How do you relax or enjoy?)" I quickly answered, "Traveling." She said, "Ang mahal naman ng nagpapasaya sa'yo! (Your type of enjoyment is costly!)" I just shrugged. Traveling may cause me to get so broke afterwards and to sacrifice my budget for shopping and food but it always brings me joy, the joy which only travelers understand. If I could define the feeling of traveling in one sentence, maybe it would be this: Traveling brings me to the closest place to heaven that I'll ever reach on earth.

There, I said it.

(Today is September 8, 2012. It takes a month for me to finish a blog now.)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews