My Takeaways from ICTED 2018

ICTED, which stands for International Conference on Teacher Education is the first international conference on education that I am privileg...

ICTED, which stands for International Conference on Teacher Education is the first international conference on education that I am privileged to attend last August 23-25, 2018. It was held in SEDA Vertis North Hotel, near three major malls in Quezon City. I am very proud of the ICTED committee, U.P. College of Education, speakers, and participants for making this conference a success.

The major theme of the conference "Equity on Inclusion" is a timely eye-opener. Being a special education graduate, I first learned the term inclusion in my special education classes in college. IDEA and "Education for All" ring in my mind. But I first understood the real essence or meaning of inclusion in this conference. This is why I want to share what I have learned to not only educators like me but to everyone who has an open heart and mind to understand inclusivity in various settings.

My major takeaways from the speakers and presentations are the following:

Difference is not the problem. - Dr. Therese Bustos 
For me, the people who view difference as a problem is the problem. Being different does not make someone less. Being different doesn't mean one is special or superior too. Get rid of the labels. We are all equal. Respect the differences. 



Education is for ALLBut we need to define ALL. - Dr. Therese Bustos
Dr. Therese Bustos, my former SPED teacher in college, emphasized that we must challenge the casual use of the word ALL. Humanize that ALL as Paulo Freire said. How extensive is our ALL? One can be included yet segregated.

3Rs: Review, reflect, reform. - Dr. Chris Forlin
One of Dr. Chris Forlin's reminders in the end of her talk was: "A good inclusive teacher makes use of his/her head, heart, and hands (3Hs) to include everyone."

Inclusive education must be transformative. Promote a culture of peace. - Dr. Toh Swee-Hin


Social justice drives equity. - Dr. Jose Lalas
Equality vs. Equity. He defined both so clearly: "Equality means everyone receives the same resources regardless of need. Equity ensures everyone has what they need to succeed. Equity is a relevant and appropriate response to meet the program or instructional need of students when they need them."

Equity without empathy is empty. Emphatize before we plan, change, and act. 

Strategy without an understanding of inequity is empty. - Dr. Therese Bustos 

In inclusive education, fix the box and make the box bigger so that more people (despite their differences) can enter the box. - Dr. Therese Bustos



Teach hope instead of hopelessness. -Ms. Heidi Strikwerda
Hope leads to motivation, student engagement, and achievement. Some of the best ways that she mentioned on teaching hope is by giving feedback by highlighting strengths, celebrating smallest successes, and developing agency.

On teacher education: Encourage the high-performing students to go into teaching. - Dr. Clarissa David

I would go on and write more notes and insights. I couldn't quote all speakers and post pictures of them. But with all respect, they were beneficial. The common point in all the talks was to understand what inclusion really means. Are we inclusive? If yes, how inclusive are we? If no, how can we be inclusive? Inclusivity should not only happen inside the classroom. It must be practiced by everyone everywhere--in our schools, educational centers, offices, community, and even inside our homes.

That requires us to face a thought-provoking question that our rockstar professor, Dr. Dina Joana Ocampo asked during the closing program, "So what do we do now?" When all was said and done, how do we respond?


As an educator, I have the big responsibility to apply inclusion in my teaching practice. But it is also comforting to know that each teacher is not alone in this goal. I remember what my previous employer have always instilled in me and my fellow educators: "It takes a village to raise a child." And that is exactly what we must be doing together. Collaboration is needed not only to provide evidence-based strategies and interventions that help our diverse learners but to develop a heart for inclusion among ourselves and our students' hearts as well.
These are just some of the great educators that I worked and interacted with through the years.
Hoping to add more teachers in this collage as we meet again and again in the future.
Proud of you teachers (including those not in the pictures)!
There is so much to do and improve on. My first practical response is to know each of my learners--academic skills, mother tongue, interests, learning styles, socio-economic status, age, gender, cultural background, religion, dreams, fears, social skills, etc. I must make time for this. This will help me create more student-centered lessons and assessments. Similar to what Esther Care stated in her talk, "To practice inclusive education, assessment must be targeted." Pam Robertson also shared what kind of assessments should be provided to our students: "Assessment should provide information about all learners, so that we can help all." Create inclusive assessments!

My second practical response, which I have been trying to do in the past years, is to model and practice empathy and teach it. I am currently exploring literature-based and metacognitive strategies. To apply this more often is a challenge. Aside from my students, I also need to empathise and empower my fellow teachers. Teacher motivation is also one of the recurring problems that I witnessed among those teaching in the great, difficult field. I remember the round table discussion that I attended about teaching multi-grade classrooms in provinces (e.g. mga eskwelahan na nakatayo sa mga bulubundukin sa Nueva Vizcaya) where teacher education and training is minimal or lacking. How is our society being inclusive to our teachers? Are we listening to and meeting their needs as well? 

As a researcher, it is truly important to study and research about social and environmental problems that are occurring around us. I will try to find solutions and answers to such questions. This is also what we need to impart to our students. We have a role to train them to become problem-solvers and solutionarians.

I am so grateful and honoured to have the ability to teach and make a difference in the next generation. It is a God-given gift. It is a calling. And this calling requires a heart to empathise, include, and provide equal opportunities to all. I thank the Lord for this gift and may He continue to cultivate my skills, heart, and passion for teaching and practice equity in inclusion wherever He takes me.

God brings us to teach in different places. He gives us learners with diverse backgrounds. He loves diversity and He doesn't discriminate or segregate. He is for inclusion. Like Him, our hearts should beat for everyone.

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." -Galatians 3:28

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews