Japan 2013 Day 3: Asakusa Temple

Our fourth day in Japan was a holiday named Taiiku no hi  (Health and Sports Day). The weather was beautiful due to the sunny blue skies th...

Our fourth day in Japan was a holiday named Taiiku no hi (Health and Sports Day). The weather was beautiful due to the sunny blue skies that was complimented with a cool breeze. It was the perfect day to go out and explore Tokyo.
Asakusa station
Asakusa was our first destination. Towards Asakusa station, my Dad and I took the subway Ginza line from Shimbashi station. During the train ride, I noticed that there were many people who rode from the Ginza station. But as the train got closer and closer to Asakusa, people were getting fewer and fewer. I guess not all people were up early for a temple run. Who would when you could rise up from the bed late and enjoy a holiday? I thought that Japanese would. But unexpectedly, many people still alighted the train in different stops. We mixed into the crowd as we entered the ticket gates in Asakusa station.



Dad and I waited for Erik at the lobby. While waiting, we took some pictures of ourselves and of other people who were busy staring at the ticket booths or patiently waiting like us.
Tourists studying the train maps
Everywhere you go in Japan, there is a taste of its culture. Everything seemed organized and helpful, especially to tourists. If tourists know the language, the task of navigating will become much easier. But there are enough instructions around that can help a lot.

When Erik arrived, we went out of the station and into the massive mixture of tourists. Around the corner, we found a Ghibli Museum gift shop. I could not control my happiness. Because I know I would develop the desire to buy everything, I quickly looked around with a big smile on my face.
A Kaonashi (No-Face) is holding our one peso coin. (((:
A long array of tourist shops aligned the path toward Sensoji Temple or also known as Asakusa Kannon Temple. This shopping street is named Nakamise. I was surprised to see that most of the tourists were following two lines. One line on the right were all going toward the direction of the temple. The line on the left were the people who were going back from the temple. But of course, there was a mixed-up once in awhile because some of the people were curious to look at the shops on both sides.
Sembe, Japanese rice crackers
Anpaman, one of my childhood favorite cartoon characters (:


Nakakasilaw. ((:


This was the first time that I stepped into a Buddhist temple. Before climbing the steps towards the temple, there were some areas outside that portray the Buddhist culture. I became a silent observer with a camera, taking pictures.
















Despite the dozens of people in the temple, I felt the serenity that the place held. The place contained a peaceful noise. I have never felt that in any place before.

After exploring the temple a bit, we walked towards the Asakusa Water Bus Pier in order to ride the ferry to Hinode Pier. This was just the beginning of a long but fun day. Considering it was a health and sports day, we had not done anything healthy and sporty at all. (:

Next: Tokyo Water Bus Ride

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews