Japan 2013 Day 0: Konbanwa, Land of the Rising Sun

Yoroshiku! When a massive earthquake hit Japan in 2011, I wrote a blog entitled  The Land of the Rising Sun  to express my sincere lov...

Yoroshiku!

When a massive earthquake hit Japan in 2011, I wrote a blog entitled The Land of the Rising Sun to express my sincere love for the beautiful country and hope for it to rise and shine again. Three years after, I found myself accompanying my Dad for a visa application and boarding the non-stop 3-hour flight. Smooth sailing. I felt like everything was meant to be.

During our flight, I prayed to God for this trip to not just become a blessing to me. I honestly wished that I would be a blessing to others, no matter how little or insignificant I might be. Of course, I also have needs. But setting those needs and putting others' above my own was an act I wish to accomplish in this trip. This is not just for sightseeing, spending money, buying gifts for myself and for my family and friends, but I also did hope for a deeper connection with God and His people in this country. Someday, I might understand better why I was here before, why I was here now, and why I still desire to come back.


When we arrived at the airport, my Dad and I took the Suica and Narita Express (N'EX) package from the JR-East booth. A one-way ticket cost us 3500 yen each. In an hour, we alighted at Tokyo station and transferred to the Yamanote Line. This line passed through Shimbashi station, the nearest train station to Ginza Nikko Hotel, our hotel for the next 8 days. My impression of the whole train ride was inspired with awe. The transportation system was so efficient and convenient that you would not leave a single minute wasted in your entire day. Time seemed so valuable in this country.
The smart toilet that I wish we have in the Philippines.
At Shimbashi station, we did not know which direction to go. Having no Maps or mobile internet was entirely difficult but my Dad printed out a Google map of the hotel. However, our orientation was entirely messed up so we walked in circles around the blocks, carrying our luggages. This usually happens when a person is tired, having a headache, hungry, or simply new to a place. I decided not to lose my cool. My father did not lose his either. This is why I love traveling and getting lost with my Dad. He he he.

At sundown, we finally found our hotel. We returned to the Shimbashi station and from there, we found the right way. We just had to walk straight instead of going left or right from the Ginza exit. We did manage to laugh at ourselves.

Spacious room (for me haha)

My Dad and I took separate hotel rooms. Compared to the hotel rooms in Tokyo, I was surprised at the size of my hotel room. Though it was a bit pricey, the room was cozy and spacious enough to walk on or even do a yoga stretch. I am serious on doing yoga. I managed to do a yoga stretch that night due to the long and tiring travel. I really love my room for I could see the main street outside and the room atmosphere comforted me a bit.

View from hotel

Dad and I saw a Lawson convenience store nearby. We decided to check out Studio Ghibli tickets after eating dinner. We walked around Ginza, finding a fast food restaurant and to my amazement, we found lanes of shops. I felt like I was back in Orchard Road, Singapore wherein expensive and famous shops were found. Being there was not a big deal for me. But I did enjoy seeing familiar stores like Zara, H&M, Uniqlo and stores I could never go to like Louis Vuitton and Prada. I could feel that everything is pricey. But in my mind, this is a first world country. More people could afford them here. Power dressing was very much evident in almost every person walking in Ginza. Every woman was wearing high heels. I felt so little yet contented that my feet were not suffering from them. Tiis ganda, as the Filipinos usually say. It is not that I do not appreciate their fashion style because I do. I really do. I just wish I can have a job that will require me to wear them, a job that will require me to be beautiful and sophisticated looking all the time. The job description does not simply describe an elementary school teacher though there is nothing that can stop me from dressing up differently.
The Hakuhinkan Toy Store <3
After walking some blocks, we found a Yoshinoya branch. Dad said that the Yoshinoya in Japan is entirely different from the Yoshinoya in the Philippines. It must be the taste. When we were about to go in, Dad changed his mind due to the ambiance of the place. The round table sits only a few persons making it a bit uncomfortable. So we tried another fast food katsudon restaurant beside it. It was a good find. The price is very reasonable as well and the food was already delicious. Authentic katsudon at last! The most interesting thing was we only needed to pay our orders in a vendo machine. Pretty cool.

Oishii

And this was our Day 1 in the Land of the Rising Sun. The full day in Tokyo begins tomorrow.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews