US 2011: Orange County, Anaheim, and San Diego

October 4, 2011 * Day 15 Our flight from Georgia to Los Angeles was a little delayed. It was just 1-hour flight so it was shorter compared...

October 4, 2011 * Day 15

Our flight from Georgia to Los Angeles was a little delayed. It was just 1-hour flight so it was shorter compared to the other flights we have had. Ate Carla was the one who picked us up at the airport. She also drover her aunt to the airport so our flight was just in time for her to pick us up. She was really too kind to be able to do this for us. We love her too much for it!


We were waiting for Ate Carla in the waiting area under the "D"s. I saw her as she passed us. She was driving really fast! Hehehe. Then we texted her right away that she just passed us by. So she had to go around again and this time, we were able to see each other. We catched up a lot in the car though we were also texting non-stop since we parted last September. Many things have changed but still, we were all in this together, staying strong. C'mon!


The Mortero family were picking us up at Ate Carla's apartment around 9PM. So we stopped by Ate Carla's house first to get some of our stuff we left behind. We packed and repacked our things and waited for the Mortero family to arrive. 

I FINALLY GOT MY HANDS ON THE SWITCHFOOT PACKAGES!!! I was so shocked to finally see the packages Switchfoot/Bandfarm has sent me. They have delivered the packages last September 23, 2011 (Wow! At this time, I was spending my 23 with Eloise around Chicago and having a blast). I was holding the whole box in my arm with a backpack on my back and a rollers on my other hand when I made my way out on the streets with Ate Carla and Mom. We were definitely packed.
I super love my FOTF number!
A few minutes later, Tita Cynthia (my ninang), Tito Bong and their son Paul came. They helped us tuck in our bags in their car and we hugged Ate Carla a sweet goodbye. I am feeling a little sad to leave her behind in their apartment alone but I was also looking forward to see her again. I was really hoping she would be my companion in the upcoming Switchfoot concert I'm going to attend in.

The Mortero family was super duper nice. They brought us to Denny's to grab something for dinner. Then we went to their homey home. I was definitely being shy because this was our first meeting time. Last May, Mom and Dad were also very thankful for their last visit in their house. I was happy to know that their children Esther, Paul, Sarah, and Grace were close to my age and very welcoming.

My fear too.
Mom and I slept at Esther's room. When I was unpacking some of my stuff, I decided to open the package Switchfoot has sent me. I finally had the chance to open it! I was totally being a kid unwrapping Christmas presents. I felt like I was having an early Christmas and Switchfoot was the Santa Claus. I couldn't imagine I would be this happy!

I listened to Vice Verses until 2AM. <3


October 5, 2011 * Day 16


Because of staying up late last night, I woke up late today. Again, I surfed the internet for awhile then listened to Vice Verses once again. Mom, Paul, and Esther went out to go to the bank. I haven't eaten breakfast at this time because I didn't know what to do. "Do I just have to go down and eat? Will there be someone eating downstairs too?" were some questions going on in my head. But after several minutes, I went down to eat by myself.

Despite the rain, Esther and Tita Cynthia brought us to JC Penny today. We were geared to shop! Because we were running out of clothes, we bought a bunch for ourselves and for pasalubongs at Charlotte Russe. Gosh, this store rocks! Mom and I went gaga over the style of the clothes and accessories. They were completely for the girly girls! And they weren't that expensive as well. After shopping which seemed like eternity, we went to JC Penny department store wherein I saw some cute flannel shirts for my brothers. We decided to come back for them.

Mom wanted to buy something for the home so we went to JC Penny Home. It was just across the street so we just drove there. It was a little drizzling outside but it stopped eventually. She found an automatic vacuum cleaner for a very low price. It was totally a bargain! It was going to ship to Tita Cynthia's address within a week. 

We went around for awhile and fell inlove with the designs of the curtains and bedsheets. I was inspired to decorate my own future home. Yiiii! 

Going home to rest was our next itinerary. We prepared for a dinner out in the evening with the rest of the family: Tito Bong, Paul, Sarah, Grace, and Dada (grandmother). We dined at Hot Pot wherein we cooked the food that we picked out on a grilling stove. There were two stoves so we had two groups on each side of the table. It was a fun night! The foods were absolutely delicious. especially the green mango with spicy salt that I kept on eating as a dessert. ;)

We, the older kids, with Mom went to West Coast and window-shopped. The Forever 21 store here was so beautiful! I could die of the endless racks of clothes. At the shoe section, I found this very cute leopard doll shoes but there was no price tag. So Esther and I had to ask at the counter for the price. I said I wouldn't buy it anymore because I am still not sure if Mom would allow me to. But Esther paid for the leopard doll shoes!!! I insisted not to buy but she was persistent. I just thanked her wholeheartedly and promised to help her with her clothes so that she can sell it in the Philippines. She was too kind!

After that, we went around the mall.. Zara, Victoria’s Secret, Mango, Wet Seal, H&M, and then Sephora, the makeup haven wherein Mom found her favorite lipstick color. She said she would come back for it this week.

At the Mortero home, Mom and I with Tita Cynthia and the others planned the whole week ahead of us. We were so confused at first whether to drive to Las Vegas for an overnight trip or go to San Diego and Disneyland. We decided to go for San Diego and Disneyland instead. I wouldn't want to miss San Diego! ((:

October 6, 2011 * Day 17

We rose up at around 8AM, had breakfast, prepared ourselves, and fetched Tita Minda at her house. Tita Minda was the sister of Tito Bong who gave us four Disneyland passes. She was working in Candyland, Disneyland for quite a time. We stopped by a convenience store first to buy drinks. Then we drove straight to Disney D, wherein Disney products were 50% off priced. These were very low compared to the ones in Disneyland.

One important thing: Do not buy merchandises inside the park unless you really really want the item. It is overly priced so if you are just planning to buy a souvenir shirt, mug, or something that would remind you of your stay, then you can try going to Disney D first. You will definitely have great bargain finds. ;)

Paul dropped us off at Disneyland because he had to fetch Sarah so the rest of us went in to the park. We went down the parking lot and waited for the vehicle to arrive that would take us to the park. 
I immediately had a Disneyland dejavu when I entered the park. First was with my parents and a baby Paul (cutie!) at Disneyland Japan. Then my second time was with my Mom at Hong Kong Disneyland. And now was my third time at Disneyland Anaheim. 

At the gate, we had our pictures and then when we went inside the park, Tita Minda said goodbye to us. We would be seeing her later before the parade starts. We had more pictures in front and then we started walking around. Riding the Disneyland Railroad was the first thing we did in order to see the whole park. After seeing the whole park, we alighted at New Orleans Square wherein Disney Dining and some attractions could be found. The attractions were the Haunted Mansion Holiday, and also the Pirates of the Carribean, which was not operating at this time. When we found out that we would not be able to experience the ship ride, we were all disappointed as hell. :| 
But still, we took our Fast Pass tickets at Haunted Mansion Holiday in order to save ourselves from an extremely long line. Then we had our lunch first at Royal Street Veranda wherein we ate Chowder and gumbo in bread boules. Yummy. 
Mom already got inside the Haunted Mansion so it was a bit familiar to her. She said the only thing she remembered was the dancing ghosts. But when we entered the mansion, she said they changed the ambiance. Though the dancing ghosts that Mom mentioned were still there, Nightmare Before Christmas was the overall theme. Halloween was truly around the corner.
After that, Mom and Esther had to go to the bathroom. I was supposed to go with them as well when I found Jack at one area with a few people having their pictures taken with him. I joined the line and Mom and Esther proceeded to the bathroom. I was really fond of Nightmare Before Christmas when I was young. Every time it was shown on TV during the holidays, I have always wanted to watch it. And now, Jack and I just met:
We all met Paul afterwards at the New Orleans Square. Then we rode the train again and alighted at Big Thunder Ranch in Frontier Land. From there, we walked towards Fantasy Land and Tomorrowland. 
At Tomorrowland, we rode the Matterhorn Bobsleds. This ride has caused my headache and dysmenorrhea to get worse. The ride consisted of two compartments which could squeeze two people in one compartment. Esther was the only one who rode with me because Mom had a neck condition. We rode the compartments separately so during the ride, there was too much space that I could not stop myself from sliding to the front or to the back. It was not really a good ride for me. Even the couple at the back of us kept saying that it was not that good either. HAHA. But I guess if I just didn't have a dysmenorrhea, I would feel better.
We were just in time to get ready for the parade so we started to find good seats wherein we could see the whole lot. We found a very good spot. While waiting, Mom, Esther and me visited Tita Minda at Candyland. We roamed around the shop and she told us to wait for her. Then when she had the chance to talk to us, she gave us a bag of chocolate goodies.

We went back to Paul who was guiding our seats. Then after a few minutes, the parade started. And I was a child inlove again! Woohoo!

I love, Prince Ali! <3
So handsome! ((((:

Beautiful Ariel!

Disney Princesses

The Princess and the Frog
Peter Pan
Tinkerbell
Mary Poppins!
The next ride we lined up to was Star Tours which was inspired by the movie Star Wars. It was more of a movie ride than a real ride actually for all of you would just sit and watch a giant screen in front of you. Then once the movie started, everything seemed real. It was an awesome ride. I love it. Love, love Star Wars.

CP3O (:
I was not really in the mood to go for another ride due to my dysmenorrhea. So when we went to the bathroom, I was kind of pissed off already because I didn't have the necessary things that I need. Mom and I even got into this fight because her temper kept rising up. I couldn't help but be like this for I was always like this when I have my period. I really don't have to apologize so I didn't and I ignored her the whole walk to somewhere I didn't know at that time. I found out later on that they bought sanitary napkins for me. 



Anyway, we went to Downtown Disney afterwards and ate at ESPN Zone. This restaurant were really for jocks! I could see sports everywhere and I'm telling you, I'm not a huge sports fan. Hahahaha. But it was kind of cool to be in a place like that. Plus, the food servings were so BIG.
And so we went to Legoland..
Where we met the Black Knight, "Darth Vader"
and an enormous giraffe..
We could still go back to the park to watch the fireworks but we decided not to. I insisted on waiting for the fireworks at the parking lot instead. We sat down and rested for awhile inside the car while listening to music and talking. Thanks to Paul who downloaded some old Switchfoot songs. Great soundtrip!

Tita Minda called us a few minutes after to check on us. This was the time we found out that there were no fireworks tonight. Ugh! It was a total disappointment to us. :( She also told us that our passes were permitted to go to California Adventure. It was too late because it closes at 7PM. It was a total misunderstanding. Next time around, I wouldn't want to miss California Adventure. They said it was better than Disneyland if you really like rides. Still, I really had a good time.

We went straight home and then rest for the next day. 

Goodbye, Disney! Hope my dreams do come true..

October 7, 2011 * Day 18 

Today was another day for us to shop again for the goods that we would be bringing home. We went to Walmart and CostCo. I finally found a lotion that could help me heal my dry skin and also pasalubongs for Dad, Paul, and Luke. I was so happy that I found the semi-flannel shirts (not too thick) that my brothers want to wear. We also bought more pasalubongs for the Santiagos. When we got home, we started to put our goods in the balikbayan box.
Look at this! So cuuuuuuute ;)
In the afternoon, Grace and Sarah toured me around their neighborhood with their dog, Bandit. He reminded me of Yuki and Sachi back at home.
Then after that, all of us ate at a Vietnamese restaurant. I totally forgot the name. But the foods were delicious. Allen, Esther's boyfriend was also there with us. He seemed like a nice guy, perfect for Esther. 

When we were about to take pictures, I decided to use my camera. I was kind of hesitant to bring it out because others have digicams. So I was getting lazy to bring it out at a dinner table. I gave it to the waiter who have made me realize that my camera was broken. My lens was out of focus already. I also thought of the times in Singapore and even in Chicago when I was trying hard to make it work but I couldn't. I thought I was the problem but it was the lens. I was really disappointed and sad as we went out of the restaurant. I hugged Mom when we were about to part ways. She was going with the adults and I was going with the youngsters.
Because of my craving for Thai tea, Esther decided to bring us to Teeboteebo. She and Allen rode together and I rode with Paul, Grace, and Esther. We just met at the store. I ordered Japanese Green Milk Tea which I liked very much. It contained black pearls underneath as well. 

Sarah and Grace

Grace and me with our teas!
Sarah had a party to attend to at Beach Boulevard and Grace and I didn't mind tagging along to drop her off. When we got there, it was still early for the party so the three of us girls walked to Huntington Beach. It was sooooooo cold! We were freezing and laughing so hard. We also took some pictures. I had fun!

When we went back, we started to look for a restroom. The restaurants have restrooms for customers only so we were looking for a restaurant wherein we could grab something. We found a public restroom but we were so scared to go inside. So we ended up at Starbucks. Sarah bought an iced tea drink for herself only to found out at the counter that the restroom was for employees only. We were like, "WHAT?" I couldn't believe it. So Sarah just decided to go to the party and Grace and I met Paul. We were driving some miles away already when Sarah called again to say that the party was not in the right branch of the restaurant where she was in. It was in another side of Beach Boulevard, closer to their home. Wow. It was totally a huge misunderstanding between her and her friends. So we went back to pick her up and dropped her off at the right place. Crazyyyy night.

During the ride back home, Grace slept to prepare for her quiz online at 11PM. And I stared into the passing streets, thinking about the future. Paul sometimes talked to me about my education and work plans in the U.S. He also told me that I should find a White surfer dude from San Diego to marry. HAHAHA. That would be rad. 

I'm so excited for our San Diego trip tomorrow! YAY!

October 8, 2011 * Day 19

Hello, San Diego!
We rose up very early and drove to San Diego. The freeway was long and steady but it was worth the ride because there were a lot of things to see. I even saw surfers coming down to the beach. I envied them. Living by the beach was just.. perfect.
On the entire trip, I could say my mind was revolving around the 1) beauty of this laid-back place, 2) good weather, 3) Switchfoot. This was the band's hometown and I'm finally here visiting!
I could not specify the details but I guess the photos and videos have justified how beautiful this place was to us and how happy it made me.





I am so thankful for the Mortero family for bringing us to our family: Tito Dante and Tita Ludy, who are both working in San Diego for around 9 years already. Due to so much happiness, I cried in the car when we parted with them. I missed them so much. They were really nice people who made me smile and laugh every time I visited them at their house in Manila.


One thing that I really noticed was San Diego was full of ships, docks and bay areas. I really love the fresh and natural ambiance of this city.





The most amazing place we visited was the Cabrillo National Monument. The beauty of the place was just breathtaking!






Leap of Karen FAITH!






We ate dinner at Manila Sunset, a famous Filipino restaurant in San Diego. There were also branches in other cities/states. Due to the plenty of Filipinos residing in San Diego, this restaurant is truly a fine dining place for them. Imagine people like us who were already craving for Filipino foods! Hehe.
I will go back here and explore The Wild West a little further. And I will definitely go to Carlsbad and Encinitas where Switchfoot lives. HAH! Yiiiii! Switchfoot Bro-Am, you are in my Bucket List!
If I will pick a place to stay in California, San Diego is my only option. ((:

October 9, 2011 * Day 20

Driving slow on sunday morning
And I never want to leave
-Sunday Morning

At Goldilock's, Cerritos, we met Tita Shelly and her daughter for breakfast. I missed lutong Pinoy and rice! Eating was such a good bonding moment.


Good morning!
My half-eaten breakFAST
After our breakfast together, Mom, Tita Cynthia and I attended Tita Shelly's church. Tita Shelly was from our former church, Christ the Living Stone Fellowship (CLSF) but she moved here so she had to find another church. She told us her stories and how grateful she was for being able to find a church like it. I was totally touched by one of the Hillsong songs they sang. I worshipped God with all my might. :")

Tita Shelly drove us to Tita Cynthia's home. Mom and I packed our things and got ready because Tita Violy and Tito Jerry were picking us up. While waiting, I played the piano for awhile.. I really missed it. I kept on playing Pachelbel Canon and then when I was about to play Boston, my Tita and Tito arrived.

We bid Tita Cynthia and Dada goodbye. I didn't get to say goodbye to Esther, Grace, Sarah, Paul, and Tito Bong because they were not yet home. I am really thankful for their kindness and hospitality. I would forever be thankful to this family.

See you again, Garden Grove! 

Whew, goodbyes are getting quicker than I thought...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews