4 Life Lessons in Puerto Princesa, Palawan ๐ŸŒด

In 2015, Puerto Princesa became our second home. My parents frequently flew back and forth to build our eco-house. Our whole family c...


In 2015, Puerto Princesa became our second home. My parents frequently flew back and forth to build our eco-house. Our whole family came back in 2016 and spent our four days in our house and around the city. This year, we brought family friends who were balik-bayans from the United States to a city and island tour.

A lot has changed in the city. Having visited it thrice (and I'm still a tourist haha), I gathered some life lessons that will surely stick with me for a long period of time.

Discover a variety of food and try something new.

Ka Inato
The city has a lot of restaurants that serve delicious food from breakfast to dinner. There are also unique delicacies such as tamilok (wood worm), chicken inato (grilled chicken), crocodile sisig, and various seafood. Kinabuch's Restaurant serves tamilok, a slimy mollusk that lives inside the barks of mangrove trees. It is not so bad. Eat as if eating an oyster with vinegar.

Tamilok at Kinabuch's © Bong Mortero
My major tip is to stop eating the usual and try something new in Palawan. The only excuse is if you have a very sensitive stomach or a strict diet to follow. Eat at your own risk.  If you don't want to risk it though, eating fresh veggies and seafood are also healthier and delicious alternatives. It is even better if the veggies come directly from your garden.

One of our favorite restaurants is Ka Inato, a native restaurant that serves chicken inato and employs deaf and mute workers. Their all-day breakfast is super sulit!

Ginisang Sigarilyas at Ka Inato © Sarah Mortero

Fried Dilis at Ka Inato © Sarah Mortero
Dilis and Tuyo at Ka Inato © Sarah Mortero
Other highly recommended restaurants are Badjao Seafront Restaurant and KaLui. We dined in the latter for my birthday in 2010. We loved the food and ambiance. It has a beautiful ethnic vibe. According to my Mom, Badjao also has the similar vibe except floating on water. Aside from Filipino cuisine, Vietnamese cuisine is also available due to the Vietnamese immigrants who resided in Palawan during the war.

A unique experience awaits in every destination. 


Puerto Princesa has a long list of must-see places. During our first visit in October 2010, we spent four days touring and one day rest. Our tour included a city tour, island hopping in Honda Bay, Ihawig Firefly Watching, and the Underground River tour. Puerto Princesa is the home of the legendary Underground River, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and selected as one of the 7 Wonders of Nature in 2011. A tour in Puerto Princesa wouldn't be complete without it. It is something to be proud of about our country. But there are also a lot of unexplored places in the city.

During our second visit in Puerto Princesa in July 2016, my whole family planned to go to El Nido. I called it the PalaEWAN Trip. I was really excited to explore but then typhoon happened. Boat rides were canceled on that day because the waves were too strong. We spent most of our time in our house which was not a bad thing after all. Nothing beats rest. We ate out, shopped in the market, and attended church in Every Nation Puerto Princesa. We also visited Marina Bay Resort. It has a swimming pool and a mini floating native restaurant. It has a good view of the lake and our house could be seen from there.

On our third visit to Palawan two weeks ago, I thought that we would just be having the same tour we've taken in 2010. But I've realized that even though we visited almost the same places, each one still brought a different experience.

Baywalk © Ric Sigua

Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Cathedral © Ric Sigua

Plaza Cuartel © Ric Sigua
Baker's Hill
Ai World © Ric Sigua

Binuatan Creations

Butterfly and Eco-Garden

Tribal Village © Ric Sigua


Palaw'an Tribe



Crocodile Farm

Iwahig © Ric Sigua

Iwahig Firefly Watching

Iwahig Firefly Watching
Sadly, the Underground River tour which was scheduled on Valentine's Day was scraped off our itinerary due to a low-pressure area. In 2010, our trip was not cancelled even though we were also greeted by rain and big waves. I guess the management has a stricter policy now because of the numerous cases of people dying at sea. So on this special day when everyone's celebrating outside, we rested and quickly shopped in SM and in the wet market for essential things and food to cook. Moreover, I was not able to receive flowers from someone special on that day. But God gave us plenty of those in our garden.

Flowers for you...




Our faithful pigeons

Mom's writing session

Marina Bay View

When we almost forgot it was Valentine's Day, a salesman gave us one each.


The sun only shone brightly the next day. We were able to go to Honda Bay, an island-hopping tour. The upsetting news was Snake Island, my most favorite island where I spent my 23rd birthday is now inhabited by a private owner and guarded by two aggressive dogs. In addition, our visit to the Starfish Island was canceled due to strong waves. To avoid cancellations of itineraries, the best months to visit are March, April, May, and June.

Lu-Li Island ---short for Lulubog Lilitaw ((:


A beginning of a mangrove forest...






Cowry Island
A lot of cowry shells were found in the island before. Hence, the island name.




The major lesson is to be open to a lot of possibilities. Change is inevitable. The way you look at and navigate through those changes will lead you to good experiences in Palawan. It is still up to you how you will make your stay fulfilling and meaningful.

Tour to bless and appreciate.


Puerto Princesa is a beautiful city. I couldn't count how many times I've said, "Thank you Lord. You are amazing. This city is blessed."

On June 4, 2012, former Mayor Edward Hagedorn declared Palawan as the "City of the Living God" due to its rich natural resources in both land and water. He also stated that the people of Palawan are God-fearing, disciplined, progressive, and environment-conscious. While touring, I kept on decreeing that this place will maintain its beauty and richness whatever the circumstances are.

Home
I am grateful that God has blessed us a rest house in this place. My Mom was invited to do a groundwork for establishing a medical school in Palawan State University. This place was extra special because my grandparents and Mom's parents taught in an elementary school in Aborlan and/or Narra. Palawan was where they first met and fell in love. Until now, God is making it possible for our family to continue building a home in this land. We thank a kind and humble family who takes care of it while we are away. God is indeed preparing us for greater work.



Brave out of your comfort zone.

There are a lot of passive things to do in Palawan. But it is also packed with a couple of buwis-buhay activities. It all started in the largest water park in Asia at Kamia Bay Resort. It is located 40 km south of Puerto Princesa. It takes a 45-minute ride from the city proper. It contains 3,000 square meter inflatable play structures and obstacle courses. Think Wipeout!!!

Before that Wipeout experience, we took their Eco Trail. It was a mini-hike. We went on a perfect time, around 11 o'clock in the morning. There were no mosquitos during this time. So I recommend to take this trail before going to the inflatable play structures. We really enjoyed it! We passed by different plant species. There were a lot of mangroves and coconut trees. The limestone formations were beautiful. Trivia: Palawan islands are made out of limestone rock formations and cliffs. The best part was the wild bamboo forest and the breathtaking view on top of a steep hill. Our tour guides were also helpful and kind. Good job, Kuya #1 and Kuya #2!! I'm so sorry I forgot your names. :(

Eco Trail at Kamia Bay Resort



© Sarah Mortero

© Ric Sigua

© Ric Sigua

100 year old Palm Tree © Ric Sigua

The Climax of the Eco-Trail

I don't know what came into me and my friend, Sarah. We tried almost all obstacle courses. We even finished the hard ones! Sheesh. My Mom and Sarah's Dad, Tito Bong tried the first set but ended up kayaking for an hour. Hehehe. It was a good thing that the guides and lifeguards were skilled and patient. I commend them for such a great work. If not for them, I would not be able to make it out alive. Lol. Afterwards, I asked them if they have already held a competition. The guide said there would be something like that soon. Hey athletes, that's worth a try!



© Ric Sigua
I COULDN'T BELIEVE WE CONQUERED THAT DEADLY 40 FT SLIDE. :O




My body, although I'm not too skinny or too fat, was not fit for physical activities yet. I slept late for months due to thesis. I was not even exercising regularly. My only exercise was walking and doing chores. But by God's grace, I was able to do all the courses. It was a miracle. Hahaha. I know mind over body doesn't work all the time but it worked during the trip. In every obstacle, I was whispering to myself "Brave out, brave out. You can do this." I was reiterating my theme for this year: Braving Out 2018. What I did in that resort was an initiative step to surpass every obstacle coming my way with courage and perseverance.

Lu-Li Island © Helen Sigua
I am blessed that I acquired these life lessons meaningfully. Sharing experiences with family and friends is one of the best ways to learn. Moreover, it feels right to revisit bluer, greener, and earthier places in our country. We must allow ourselves to be refreshed by its beauty despite the noise happening in our concrete jungles. It is so easy to be strangers or tourists in our own country. There is a need to be ready to explore, recall, and unlearn always.

Remembering one of my favorite storybooks, "Where does the ocean end?" and "Where does the ocean begin?" ((:
© Ric Sigua
I am looking forward to our next visit in Palawan with another group of people to explore it with. I am certain that it will bring a different set of life lessons.

No wonder this city is decreed as the "City of the Living God." In Cuyonon dialect, I say "Matamang Salamat, Palawan! Matamang Salamat, Ginong Dios!"

K

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews