Getting Lost Together - Studio Ghibli Museum - October 2015 Day 4

My journey to the Studio Ghibli Museum took longer than I expected. It was prolonged due to lack of research and preparation last O...




My journey to the Studio Ghibli Museum took longer than I expected. It was prolonged due to lack of research and preparation last October 2013. However, tickets ran out. I tried to check for available tickets at Lawson. Then I found out that people buy in advance, usually a month or more. I was devastated. But then, I had an opportunity to visit a Studio Ghibli exhibit in Seoul, Korea last November 6, 2014 with a good friend. Then I immediately knew that God had other plans in mind. But the exhibit was only a teaser to our family visit last October 7, 2015.




The moment you step into the gates of the museum, you will find yourself into a Hayao Miyazaki film. The European architecture with Japanese touches in every corner makes it into a magical Ghibli haven. The interior is similar with the beautiful fusion of European and Japanese that is visible in most of the films, for example, the fictional city in Kiki's Delivery Service.





At Totoro's Reception, a huge Totoro and little makkuro kurosuke (wandering soots) welcomed us. As we entered the gate, my heart started soaring and I felt like I was floating in a sea of clouds. 








As we entered the Ghibli world, my childhood dreams suddenly came true. “Go, go, Kaye!” a distant cry of a childlike voice ignited me to dash into the rooms and explore. But the beauty of the central hall with the glass-domed ceiling that allowed natural light to pass through stopped me. I looked around and marvelled at its beauty.
The main hall | Photo from booklet


Beautiful details | Photo from booklet
I roamed first in the ground floor with my family and watched "The Whale Hunt" in the Saturn Theatre. My weary eyes were hindering me from focusing on the animation. But the concept of the film was too beautiful to miss. It was not the best short film but the creativity was definitely there.

My admission ticket to the Saturn Theatre | Film portrayed: Tales of Earth Sea

My 5-year old self would have reacted differently to the museum. My exploration would begin with a ride on the elevator. Then I would dash to the Cat Bus and play with the soots. Then I would find my way out through the maze and create stories in my head. Then I would hurriedly survey each exhibition room and examine the displays. I wouldn't miss the 3D Zoetrope "Bouncing Totoro" in the first floor exhibition room either. As it spins and stops, child or adult, I would gaze with awe and wonder. 

The exhibitions brought out the little kid in me in a peaceful yet vibrant way. I had the curiosity in my eyes as we slowly made our way up the stairs. "Where A Film Is Born" in the second floor is my favorite exhibition room because I was able to see the fascinating creation of the background art and drawings of human eyes and faces. Everything was so beautifully done.


The Straw Hat Café was dainty. It reminded me of Osono's bakery and the restaurant where Porco Rosso dines in. However, we didn't eat in it for the menu was a little expensive for hungry stomachs. Besides, we were running out of time. It might be good to reserve it as a perfect dating place for Ghibli couple fans  (lol), where two can eat light and converse about their favorite movies without being cautious of the time.





My family explored at the same time but in different paces, catching up at some corner, and parting ways again. The museum has no fixed path. The best thing about it is you are all lost together inside. But no matter which room you start and time you begin, you will all end up leaving the place fulfilled. The museum invites you to create your own adventure—whether exploring the world of animation, rekindling memories, or learning something new. Both children and adults enter, wander, and leave with happy faces.


One might be itching to bring out a camera and snap away. But there is no need for a camera. And all visitors ate not allowed to use one inside. So I used my eyes to create movies in my mind to remember the things I loved to keep. I tried to store everything in my head until I saw the museum booklets TRI HAWKS (Reading Room) that included pictures of the museum. Though I knew the whole experience would etch in my mind forever, I still bought museum booklets and a postcard as souvenirs. Dad even allowed me to choose one art book of one of the films. Of course, I chose "The Art of Kiki's Delivery Service." Let me tell you a secret. I wanted to buy them all. ((:


My mind was racing in Mamma Aiuto! Everything was expensive yet beautiful. For a Studio Ghibli fan, the whole store was overwhelming. I got stuck in several shelves, standing and thinking about the items worth buying. I ended up buying a blue Totoro stuff toy (to complete my Totoro collection), a Jiji keychain (to remind myself of my pet Jiji when I'm not at home), and a Totoro keychain (to keep my childhood dreams alive). Paul, my brother who is a musician, bought orchestral soundtracks of "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Tales of Earthsea." My yen almost ran out in this place, you know. But my purchases made me super duper happy. No regrets!



A free map plan of the museum will be given when you buy the booklets.
From the third floor, one should see the rooftop by climbing the staircase with vines twining around its rails. A part of the world of Laputa could be seen on top. A giant robot from was standing in an open space surrounded by tall grasses. At the back of it was a pathway leading toward the keystone of Laputa. I really felt like I was in a desolate place. Haha!




Miyazaki has fulfilled his plan in creating a magical museum that makes one more enriched when you leave than when you entered. No wonder visitors don't mind getting lost in his world. I left Ghibli Museum with more hope that someday my family and I will get to live in a place like it. These hashtags must be inserted here: #DreamHouse #GreaterThingsAhead #God'sPromises #PleaseLord. (((:




This is not a museum. This is home. 



God is really good. He only prolonged my visit two years because he had planned our visit in the most beautiful time and season. It became more meaningful because I shared my first experience with my family, the people who first introduced me to the films. I am also fortunate to have a friend in Japan who bought the tickets for us as a gift! I will surely visit for a second time and share the experience with someone special again. I'm sure God has greater plans in mind so I'll just trust Him and remain expectant to receive them at the right time.

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end." Ecclesiastes 3:11, ESV

Mata ne, Ghibli! (: (: (:

I brought a part of you back home. <3

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews