A Prayer to be Fearless

One week and a few days after I got back from Korea last year, I attended a Kids Ministry bonding with our Kids Church staff and pastor. ...


One week and a few days after I got back from Korea last year, I attended a Kids Ministry bonding with our Kids Church staff and pastor. When I was walking back home that night, something terrible happened to me. Only my close friends know about this at first. But I could not hide my bruises and wounds and pain all over my body, so I had to explain briefly or elaborately to different people. Actually, I did not plan to write about this at all. But now that I am ready, I want to share what this experience taught me.

That night, I faced a deep fear within me: Fear of being alone and fear of someone attacking me. I know I am brave. But I realized I was not brave enough and I was still missing out on something important. This knocked me off hard. The following questions below were my questions and God's answers as I communed with God. These helped me overcome my fears. I pray that these will also allow you to reflect on your fears, whatever they may be, and help you overcome them later on.


1) What does fear do?

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. 
For fear has to do with punishment, 
and whoever fears has not been perfected in love."
-1 John 4:18

The verse above was the first Word that my mother whispered to me while I was crying in bed that night. "Love" was mentioned in this verse. I was reminded of God's love. Because if I truly believe that God's love surrounds me, then there is no room for fear. God's love casts out fear.

I remember how much fear swallowed me up that night of my accident. I ran so fast and fell several times. I shouted my mother's name at the top of my lungs. All because I thought a man was going to attack me. I realized after this incident that when an individual fears, he or she is more susceptible to wrong beliefs, danger or being harmed. 

I remember when a friend told me about ultimately getting afraid of the dark that she and her companions ran fast to nowhere. They all realized in the end that there was nothing to be afraid of. My friend said that if you let your imagination overtake you, you will really get afraid. Aside from agreeing with her, I have observed that if you let fear overtake you, you can miss out on what God can do for you. The world can form lies in your head. There is no fun in getting fooled by fear, being led to harm, and being carried away from God's Saving Grace.


2) Why does God allow us to fear?

"You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"
-Matthew 8:23-26

Oftentimes we wonder about God allowing us to fear when His love can overcome fear if we are perfected in His love. In Matthew 8, Jesus' disciples got terrified of the storm. They were so afraid of struggles that their first reaction was to doubt. However, this is not the appropriate response. For if we let that fear or doubt prevail in us instead of recognizing our dependence on Him, we will not only "struggle with the oars" but we will plunge into rock bottom. What we need to realize though is God allows these struggles to happen because these are opportunities for our faith to grow and mature.


3) How does God protect us from our fears?

"..those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. 
They will soar on wings like eagles; 
they will run and not grow weary, 
they will walk and not be faint."
-Isaiah 40:31

As we grow and mature during and after our struggles, God makes us strong. He enables us to face our fears and do the impossible. When we rely on Him, the struggle becomes less and it becomes easier for us to bear. I remember the verse from Matthew 11:30 about having an easy yoke and a light burden. God makes these possible because His strength is more than enough for you and me.

I could not imagine being strong without God. After what happened to me, I got so afraid to go home or even walk in our neighborhood alone when darkness started to creep in. I declined almost all birthday and Christmas Party invitations then. I entered into a time of hibernation. But God gave me courage and strength during those times. It did not happen overnight. But everyday, He reminded me that I could face my fear of being alone or attacked again because I have Him. True enough, freedom from all kinds of fears can only be attained through Him.


A fearless 2015 in every area of my life is my prayer to God. Let me end with this verse as a reminder of His gift to us.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
-2 Timothy 1:7

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews