10 Things I Love/Hate About You

As I grow older, I realize that my Mom and I truly have a lot of differences. But we also share a lot of things in common. Because it&...



As I grow older, I realize that my Mom and I truly have a lot of differences. But we also share a lot of things in common. Because it's Mother's Day and I want to honor her, I'll mention some of them..

10. Lakwatsera. Mom and I are what you can call mga lakwatseras. We can be found in various places in various times, especially when we are very determined. In one day, we could go on a drive to the grocery store, drop by the mall to pay the bills and buy things we need, and so on. The stopovers could be endless though there are times they are few. It really depends on our mood. But this is what makes every trip with her spontaneous and fun. I always discover and learn something new because of the talks we had inside the car. Memorable ones.

9. Shopping. Whether it's clothes, accessories, shoes, bags, furniture, home appliances, books, school supplies, beauty products, medicine, technology, or food, shopping is one bonding we have always shared with each other. If she is wearing her favorite slippers, we can definitely survive for three hours or more inside any mall. Name it.

8. Food. Mom is a very good cook compared to me who still doesn't know how to cook. My Mom can cook any kind of food and will always taste delicious to me. She makes her own recipe without writing it on paper. She simply creates which makes every meal deliciously unique. I'm not quite sure why I loved her cooking but our taste buds may be one of the reasons why. I hope to learn how to cook like her someday.

7. Maldita. Santiagos have the "maldita" attitude and I inherited it from my Mom. Period. *maldita face here*

6. Talking. Mom loves to talk. Well, she does talk a lot when she's too happy or too annoyed at something or someone. As for me, I am a silent killer. I prefer to be silent and not talk about it until I get over it. I am more like my Dad and less like my Mom which makes us a good balance when we're together and something too good or too bad happens. Our personalities still clash at times but it's better than having a perfect mother-daughter relationship with all smiles and pretensions all the time.

5. Travelling. We love to travel whether together or apart. She was the one who opened my eyes to the joy of travelling when she brought me and Paul to Japan in order to visit Dad. She also treated me for an HK trip during my undergraduate years, allowed me to travel to Singapore with only a colleague, and helped me make my first US trip come true. My Mom was a jet-setter. Like mother, like daughter. ;)

4. Berat. Tatay always call my Mom "berat," a Filipino term used by my family to refer to someone crazy or naughty. It's definitely does not mean the city in Australia or another term for "barat." I really don't know where we got the term. I have to ask my Mom. This just shows that we are "berats."

3. Big Dreamer. I have to take this point seriously. We are both dreamers. Big ones. Tatay has passed on to us the desire for something more than what we have, more than what we can see, and more than our own capabilities and talents could do. A child-like faith. Always hopeful for something big and new.

2. Writing. A task we could not stop doing is writing. Besides being a busy doctor, she never stopped writing. Whether it's a love letter to Dad, a letter of advise to me, an article for a newspaper, a simple Facebook status post or a perfect caption to a picture, she never fails to inspire people. She inspired me the same way Tatay inspired her.

1. Mentoring. My Mom is one of my greatest mentors and sisters in Christ. In our church's term, she could pass as my coach. Despite her busy schedule while I was growing up, she never failed to directly and indirectly teach me many things about life. She was with me in almost every milestone. But our relationship was not the most perfect one. We also had gaps that we managed to set aside in order for our relationship to change and grow stronger. God was our foundation and he bridged us again. That is why I am now very inspired to mentor other people. My experiences with my Mom taught me how to deal with girls my age and help them turn towards the most important walk of all: A walk with our Father in Heaven. It's so important to have someone walking with you in the same path towards God. I am glad I have my Mom with me throughout the years.


Honestly, my Mom is one of my best friends. We have our sets of ups and downs due to our similarities and differences. I'll be lying if I say that I don't hate her at times. I'll also be lying if I say that I love every bit about her. But the thing is, I have loved her for who she is. She's the only Mom I would love to have in this lifetime. 

For all it's worth, God gave me what I really wanted to do today and that is to spend this day with the best mother ever. I love you so much, Mom.

Happy Mother's Day! :-)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews