US 2011: Boston, Where No One Knows My Name

She said, " I think I'll go to Boston. I think I'll start a new life, I think I'll start it over, where no one knows my nam...

She said, " I think I'll go to Boston. I think I'll start a new life, I think I'll start it over, where no one knows my name. I'll get out of California, I'm tired of the weather. I think I'll get a lover and fly him out to Spain.." -Boston, Augustana


Part 1

Boston was our third destination in our US trip. At midnight of September 27, 2011, Tita Vernia and his husband dropped us off at the airport. Then we left Chicago early in the morning. It was already the eight day of our US trip. I could not believe that we had been to so many places already.

Our airline was JetBlue. It was the best American airline we rode in. They served complimentary snacks and our seats had television with earphones. Compared to the other budget airlines we rode in, their services were the best. Well, this was only based on our experience.

During the entire two hour and twenty minutes, I listened to my iPod and dozed off. We arrived at Boston around 10 AM. This was another big adventure for us. We didn’t know anyone from this city. Due to our heavy bags and luggages, we didn’t get to enjoy commuting. The stairways were so steep. We also wore the wrong clothes because it was a little hot here. We rode the blue shuttle to the subway station but the driver said we should have rode the bus. But it turned out that the bus we rode in drove around the airport again. The lady beside me told us where to go and a Chinese man also guided us. The lady even went down with us in the subway and gave us a Charlie card to use for free. She was so helpful and kind. Too bad she had to leave in a hurry. The man from the subway station helped us load up our Charlie Card. It was a stored value card that is used for riding buses and subways managed by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA). Just check out the picture below.







We rode the Blue line subway (Airport Station) which led us to the Green Line. We alighted at Government Center and then rode another train to Hynes Convention Center Station. After getting out of the subway station, we still had no idea where Hostelling International was located. We called Hostelling International. But they actually didn’t know how to give directions because they kept saying to go to West, North, and whatever. But they didn’t even ask where we were! HAHA. 

Where we turned and got lost.



We just kept following the directions they gave us until we realized we were still going nowhere. So we asked a lady walking her dog for directions. She was really so kind that she freely used her Iphone to locate our hostel. It turned out that our hostel was just near Berkley College of Music and the Hynes Convention Center Station. WOW. We walked a long way with our bags and luggages for nothing!

The Hynes Convention Center Subway Station

When we arrived at the hostel, we were greeted by these black guys who were kind of rude. I think they were just KSP (Kulang Sa Pansin). We just let it pass. We checked in the hostel and we were sent off to go to our rooms.



The Hostelling International
The hostel was nice and comfortable. Beside the information desk, there was a mini computer shop and a lounge. At the right of the information desk, there was a mini hallway passing the stairs leading to the canteen with a big television set, kitchen, tables and chairs. The whole hostel was full house today. There were plenty of people from different countries. When we climbed up the stairs, I did not look at the receipt we had. So I just went inside an opened room overseeing beds 1A and 1B. It was Room 204. The room was full of three bunks so there were 6 beds. I was in the upper bunk bed and Mom was in the lower bunk bed. Our beds were placed in front of a window overlooking another apartment on the street. We also have free lockers which we used with a padlock for security purposes. The bathrooms were shared, clean, and bearable enough . There was also one private bathroom. This was not the first time I have slept in a hostel (remember Singapore?) so I had no problems here.

Through email, I have scheduled two meetings with the Faculty Director and the Assistant Director of Admissions today. We rushed to prepare, get dress, and eat a bit. We rode a bus heading to Massachussetts Avenue. It was Bus#2 which happened to be the wrong bus again. Haha! We were told that it would only reach Central Square. We went down immediately and waited for Bus#1. A young Chinese man who was standing in the corner suddenly walked up to us and helped us out. He gave us the directions and then we said our big thank yous. Thank you God for everyone was so helpful! Those people were like angels, heaven-sent! 

On the way to the hostel: Mom's captured reaction during our adrenaline rush earlier.. FUNNEH. 
To cut it all short, the meetings gave me hope and a good sign of a possibility to study in Boston. I really couldn’t believe God was moving in every word I said and in every question I asked. I felt like I was half myself and half God the whole time. That moment was unbelievable. Honestly, moving around the campus, looking at shops where to eat, and even the first meeting with the program director overwhelmed me. I was scared that I wouldn’t be able to catch up with the lifestyle here. But the feeling of walking along the streets reminded me of University of the Philippines Diliman (U.P.). My main concern was being rejected or not being able to sustain myself—food, shelter, clothes, etc. But the second meeting acted as a confirmation that it is indeed possible. With God making it a way for me to get this far, then there is no need to worry. 

So on that day, I started to let the fear go and let God move. Surprisingly, I was even invited to attend a graduate class. Though I had no idea about the lesson, I was boiling with fear and excitement. It was one of the best universities in the world for heaven's sake! 


Mom and I went back to the hostel. We were already tired but definitely hopeful. We made friends with our roommates: a Vietnamese girl, an English lady, and an Australian girl named Ina. They were really nice and friendly. 


I thought of the people I care about back home. I thought of UP and the wonderful experiences and knowledge it has shared with me. I thought of my job and how it provides an opportunity for me to help children with special needs. I thought of our country and how it has shaped me to become a better citizen each day. I thought of God and how He has made all things beautiful in His own time. I thought of why I was here... 

and I fell in a deep slumber.

My sanctuary..
Part 2

The next day, we ate breakfast downstairs with all the other people at the cafeteria. I filled my stomach with bread, tea, and a banana. I put yogurt on my bread because I saw a young Chinese man do it. I thought it was delicious but it was not. He definitely had bad taste. (((:


It was a brand new day.  Our itinerary for the day was to attend a class in the university that I was inquiring about. It was definitely inspiring. I got to experience the feel of being in a Master’s Program. I was surprised to see that the atmosphere was like U.P. but only better. The abundant instructional materials were really helpful. I also enjoyed the activities that the teacher implemented because the classroom became very interactive. They have "clickers"! It is a Classroom Response System wherein the teacher asked a question to the students. The students sent their answers to the teacher's computer. And then the results of their answers would be summarized or graphed. The students were listening intently to the discussion and sharing their views in a whole class or a group discussions. Sadly, I observed that there were more women than men in the class which had meto thinking that the world’s population of men in school are truly getting fewer.


Harvard University was definitely a beauty to behold. It was a huge university which could be roamed around by walking. Outsiders like us were free to explore. Everyone was busy with their own lives though they were still ready to help you out when in need. It was a diverse community full of people from different races and nationalities. It was a melting pot. We never felt left out.


At the corner of Brattle Street, we saw a honesty book sale which requires the customers to put the payment inside a cute white cardboard box. I remembered the honesty canteen we have in my workplace wherein they pay for the food they get. It has taught children how to be honest and be trustworthy. I am amazed that a seller or a group of sellers could run this successfully here. 






Mom and I had lunch in The Upper Crust Pizzeria which serves very delicious, extraordinary, and good-smelling pizza. It was also located at Brattle Street, Harvard Square. Though we didn’t try the pizza, the sandwiches, bread, and salad were also very true to their word: D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. But if you ask me about the price, everything was a bit expensive. I could not imagine a student who studies in Boston without a scholarship. If I were that person, think I would eat bread crumbs everyday. HAHA JOKE.

Taken from Google





We stopped over at some shops to look for souvenirs. In one shop, we bought a Harvard refrigerator magnet because we collect those in every city or country we visit. Then we stopped by this shop near the Harvard Coop where other souvenirs were sold as well. Mom chose a Harvard hat for Dad. He could definitely use it for going out in the open field.



One weird thing happened to me while I stayed outside the shop for awhile to take some pictures of the streets. I was standing, looking at the map, hoping to find the Holyoke Center. Suddenly, a young American man with a bicycle stopped and asked me “Are you lost?” I said I was looking for the Holyoke Center. He then gave the directions to me and said he could go with me. He was even holding his bicycle and preparing to go when I told him it was not necessary. I told him that I was still waiting for my Mom inside the shop. Then he said it was okay, gave me the directions again, and told me I wouldn’t miss it. I thanked him wholeheartedly. Can you see how helpful and giving the people here are? Well, you should! Because it seemed like the world still has hope for change with people like these around.




Study group? FGD? Haha cool.









This was the time when Mom asked to trade in her silver heels for my brown flats. Err.
It is a must.
After taking a visit to the Holyoke Center, we discovered that the Medical School at Longwood were located near our destination for tonight: Museum of Fine Arts. Mom said we could just drop by the school if we had the chance to see it. We loaded our Charlie card first. Then we entered this park-like grounds wherein most students relax, study, and mingle around with other students. Mom and I just walked around like normal people though we stopped and took pictures once in awhile.

When we were walking on our way back to the bus stop, I went by this young student who said out loud, "What's with these chicks?!" Because of embarrassment, I didn't even look at his face. Knowing me, you could have seen me looking at the floor, pretending I haven't heard anything. I couldn't even define his blunt comment as positive or negative. Haha! 

We waited at the bus stop along Massachussets Avenue at Harvard Square. We took Bus #1 again and alighted at Massachussets Institute of Technology (MIT).

We took some pictures and walked around the campus a bit. 

At MIT.


Then we walked towards Harvard Bridge, which was overlooking the river, city buildings, sailboats, and trees. It was beautiful! Two different people volunteered to take pictures of me and my Mom. We felt so welcomed here.








To get back to our hostel, we took the same bus again towards Hynes Convention Center. We fixed our things and got ready for the museum tour at 5:30 PM. At the lobby, we waited for the other people who also signed up for the tour to come. When it seemed like everybody was there, the girl who happened to be looking like Kristen Stewart slash Hayley Williams asked us to gather around and go. I really thought this tour has a tour guide included but I was wrong. We could have gone to the museum by ourselves. HAHA. But it was a great walk because I met a new friend named Emily who was Chinese and she happened to be in a cultural program in the US. She was very nice and we had a good time talking about our lives. She loved our English accent and was surprised that we started to study English at a very young age. She also told me I look young for my age and like others, she couldn’t believe I was already working. I told her she looked the same. I think she was older than me because she mentioned her husband once. But she looked like she was in her early 20’s. Asians truly look young for their age!


The Museum of Fine Arts was beautiful and so big that an hour and a half was not enough to roam around. They offer free admission on Wednesdays so we were very lucky to be able to avail of that. I think it was also a promotion for their museum so that many people would come. Actually, it was so big that people got lost inside. It was funny because I was with Mom and Emily at the first two galleries. Then I ended up with Emily only. But then I was all alone. I roamed around the rest of the galleries by myself though sometimes I encountered some of my roommates and fellow hostel people. I frequently got text messages from my Mom that we were to meet up at 7:30 in the main lobby where we started. When I really could not find anyone familiar, I tried following the exit signs. But of course, I couldn’t help it but to stop and look at the galleries. I was like trying to find my way back and getting lost inside the museum at the same time. It was an incredible experience! When I got tired already, I just studied the map of the whole first floor and found my way back to the main entrance. At the main lobby, I did not find Mom and I was about to go back to the galleries again when I caught a tiny glimpse of her at the gift shop. Good job!



At the shop, I was looking at every shelf because I was getting bored already. I found a cute dragonfly bookmark that I liked but it was pretty expensive. I was in the last shelf near the door when I finally stopped over some Jane Austen masterpieces. I was shocked to be able to see Jane Austen books. One book that caught my eye was “Jane Austen’s Guide to Dating.” It was one of the books I was looking for in the internet! Mom walked over to me and she liked the book too. I held on to the book and made puppy dog eyes with a sound of a little girl waiting for her Mom's yes or... no. But I am so blessed because Mom bought it for me. *kilig*


Asians Unite! Me, Emily, and Mom (:
Emily and I



Back in the hostel, there was a free lasagna party which we didn’t get to attend to. But Mom was able to eat lasagna because she spent most of her time downstairs. She talked to some people lodging in the hostel. As for me, I was busy transferring files from my camera to my computer and resting. But it was not what you call rest because Mom was having problems with Luke’s requirement in school involving her scanned credit card and ID picture. Because of that, I had to take a picture of her credit card and ID picture because we didn’t have a scanner. I was really stressed because I was so tired already. But I managed to do it. All in the name of love. Mom offered me lasagna which I didn’t get to eat because it turned cold. 

There was a newcomer in our room. She was from Australia. She was an artist and she was really nice. She was looking for opportunities here in Boston. We talked for awhile while I was fixing my things and she was unpacking. Her day in Boston had just begun and we were leaving Boston the next day. Too bad.

Part 3


Today was our day to check-out. We woke up late. But we were able to fix our bags and things on time.




We visited Berkley College of Music and its store called Books + Music. Because the store opens at 10AM, I roamed around the streets alone for awhile. It was drizzling but I still managed to take some pictures with my camera. When I went back, Mom entered the store already. We were able to buy decent looking Berkley jackets for my brothers and music books for them.



When we were about to leave, Ina, the Austrian was also in the lobby checking out of our room. She was heading to New York via bus on that day. We exchanged Facebook names and email and promised to keep in touch. We said our goodbyes after these pictures were taken.


Ina and Mom


Ina and I
Mom and I walked to the subway again. We rode the train to the airport. It was a very hard moment. Since I had a backpack, a tote bag, and a luggage bag, I had a difficult time carrying because both were already full and heavy. We were again blessed to meet another angel. She was a woman from New York who taught us where to go. She rode the subway and bus with us too.

We successfully arrived at the Logan International Airport. Our flight was scheduled at 1:30 PM. We were able to make it on time. We even had to repack our bags so that we would only have two bags each. We successfully consolidated it! Tip: Don’t buy a lot of books if you can help it. Sorry, bookworms. You’re going to suffer the same way I did. Do you remember the Honor System book store? Well, I did bought some books from there. ((:


After checking in, we were riding down the escalator, when Mom and I looked back. I was grinning at empty space when Mom suddenly said, “Bye, Boston! We will come back.” I just nodded and said to myself, “Yes, ‘til we meet again.”


Looking back, Boston was the only state where I did not get to roam around that much. There were a lot of beautiful places I have missed such as the Freedom Rail and the Medical School at Longwood (for Mom). This just motivates me more to come back and stay more than 3 days. It just left me with a feeling of falling in love with a place I haven’t even explored.


Is this home? Do I finally know where I belong?


If yes..  Boston, please remember my name next time. ;)
Stop over at Georgia. Next stop: Nevada!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

All rights reserved. © 2018 Kaye Sigua

Everything in this blog is created by the owner unless otherwise stated. (:


Total Pageviews